the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wood Ants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood Ants
    Posted: 09 May 2004 at 5:17pm
I've often wondered why some areas of heathland appear to have hardly any wood ants whereas in other areas you can't take a step without them running over your feet.

Anyone know why?

Cheers,
Alan
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2004 at 9:06am

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately don't know the answer but in my part of Cambs every time I lift a tin there's a new nest of wood ants under it. I wondered if this would put snakes off using the tins (it'd certainly put me off!)

Mind you I think the woodpeckers appreciate the meals I keep uncovering for them!

Cheers Lisa

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2004 at 9:58am
Hi Lisa, How are you this fine day? :¼)

Yes, this is the same thing i'm wondering (Ticks and Eye Scales thread).Wood ants seem quite aggressive when defending their nests , yet slow-worms seem to lay amoungst them unaffected.

Take care,
Al

PS Found any adders yet?
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2004 at 1:38pm

Hi Al

Ah yes, have just read the ticks and eye scales thread. Interesting idea about ants using the slough skins, they certainly seem willing to attempt to carry anything (dead or alive!) back to the nest but I still wouldn't fancy sharing a site. Maybe snakes (and lizards) are more immune to bites etc after all they slide through brambles fairly unbothrered?

No adders very sadly. Think Caleb was right about the area though if I could just find em it would be a really useful plus to stop proposed development :). Will not give up..

Cheers

Li

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2004 at 3:54pm
Hiya Lisa,

I'm pleased to hear you're not giving up on the adders.
Maybe they have come to know you and they all slide off and hide ;¼) Try wearing one of those plastic spectacles with moustache so they don't recognise you ;¼) .
Just Kidding of course .

Good Luck, fingers crossed for you.
Alan
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2004 at 4:11pm

Hi Al,

Could try the specs and tache. Its probably me existing face thats scaring em off in the first place LOL :)

Li

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2004 at 4:18pm
LOL! Now Now, I doubt that very much.

Seriously though , do keep us informed . If you ever do find adders there it'd be great to hear about it :¼)
All the best,
Alan
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2004 at 9:14am

Alan

The forum will be first to know!! :)

Lisa

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic