the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why dont wasps sting at night?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xphobia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why dont wasps sting at night?
    Posted: 21 Nov 2005 at 1:27am

one night while trying to change a light bulb in a overhead socket, i noticed that the bulb was buzzing, well it wasnt a bulb i was un screwing, it was a small wasps nest. I pulled my hand out of the socket and noticed about 4-5 wasps crawling on my hand.  why didnt they sting? i disturbed the nest and all they did was fall off my hand onto the ground.  this was about 3:00am in the middle of the night.

I sit the water vapor in the night air, that makes the wings stick together, or cant they see at night?

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 5:03pm
So you were changing a light bulb at 3 am that wasn't a light bulb at all but a wasp nest. Well there are a couple of explanations for you not getting stung. The most likely explanation is that because the nest was exposed in such a way, the colony had been invaded by Philanthus triangulum (the sting stealer wasp) and this had neutered the grubs so that the wasps (do you know if they were Paravespula vulgaris, P.germanica or Episyrphus balteatus?) in your nest could not sting you. At night or when its windy the P.vulgaris cannot fly as they navigate by the sun and as everyone knows its never sunny when its windy. hope that helps. 
RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic