the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

whodunnit? warning - contains gore..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whodunnit? warning - contains gore..
    Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 5:16pm
Walking past a pond today, and saw around a dozen killed toads.  Any suggestions as to the predator?  doesn't look like rats, given that the skin isn't generally removed.  Looks like puncture wounds with some flesh and organs removed, also ends of legs and arms chewed off in some cases.  A couple of crows were present, but perhaps looking for carrion.  My guess would be a heron, with its stabbing beak, but grateful to receive other ideas from you Columbo's out there!

Cheers

Will

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 8:56pm
Heron,

they're too thick to realise that when one tastes bad, they're all going to taste bad, so they keep trying to eat them and keep getting a mouthful of poison pus, but by then the toads are dead.

R
RobV
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 9:56pm
do the various Egrets eat toad?
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 11:55pm
could be fox ??

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:10am
There was something about exploding toads in the news the other month, it may have been posted on RAUK i cannae recall. Crows had apparently worked out that they could pluck the edible and nutritious livers from the toads leaving the fated animal to self destruct.  You can see why they subsequently exploded yourself! Reminds me of the old 'Great Mysteries of the World' cards you'd get with yer teabags. Any scattered entrails Will? (that's not an offer by the way)

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:17am
P.S. I've seen similar Frog carnage at well used Otter sites, although this must be the work of a bird. If anything remains, Otters tend to leave the heads and legs etc.

If you find 'em with their legs missing my money is on the French!

Edited by Noodles - 19 Mar 2012 at 9:41am
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 1:08pm
Thanks guys - I'll go with heron.  No sign of entrails left around the bodies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic