the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White Riot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Riot
    Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 7:26pm
Hi folks,

Wandering around a local reserve looking for Vivs recently, I chanced upon a trio of unusually-coloured plant specimens.

I've occasionally seen white orchids before, like this - normally pinky-purple - Pyramidal Orchid Anacamptis pyramidalis:

However, among the throng of normal purple-flowered specimens, I was surprised to also spot a pair of White Betony Stachys officinalis:

Cheers   
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 11:16pm
Interesting.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 6:39pm
Hi Suzi,

There are white cultivars of Betony in gardens, but I've not seen wild ones before personally, and the reserve warden was interested to hear of my sighting. Nice to see something different!
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 7:07am
hi liz I have seen them white but mainly pink keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 2:07pm
Hi Keith,

Maybe more common in your area then?

That's the thing with observations i find; one minute you see something you think is unusual, only to discover that others have seen the same. On another occasion, you report something you've shrugged off and an expert says "wow".

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic