the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which species?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 5:37pm
Gemma. Ever thought of using a mixture of scrap polystyrene before chucking earth over the hibo as good insulation for keeping temps up keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 7:59pm
a compost heap would be great allong with old carpet tiles and maybe raise the foliage around the pond also a log pile would be an excelent idea and some old flower pots :)
kit
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 9:04pm
Keith, have you been looking in my front garden? It is full of scrap polystyrene waiting to go to the recycling plant. 

Must admit I had never thought of it. I think the trouble would be that polystyrene has a very strong capillary action (It's amazing how much of a block polystyrene is actually moisture trapped between the beads when it is produced), in time though it dries out and would most likely result in desiccation of the poor newts over the winter if they were in contact with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic