the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which species?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASAB education Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which species?
    Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 1:27pm
Hi there,
My name is Charlotte and I am the education officer for Association of the Study of Animal Behaviour.
A teacher in Bristol has found a number of these Juvenile newts in their school pond and is having a tricky time identifying them. Any ideas? For some reason I can't upload a photo but there is one here on our facebook page www.facebook.com/ASABEducation if you get a chance to have a look it would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 11:47pm
The cat-person picture is the stuff of nightmares!

Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 8:11pm
I've just spent ten minutes looking for the cat-person picture and can't find it lol.

Charlotte,

Newt larva is one of the small newt species, palmate or smooth. My money is on Smooth but not an easy ID to make. You could survey the pond next spring and ID the species by the adult males which are easy to tell apart. Sometimes there are mixed populations too.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 8:47pm
Gemma,
When you click on the link Charlotte posted you get the Facebook page and it comes up with 5 thumbnail pix across the top. It's the second one you need to click on ..brrrr creepy.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 10:14pm
Found it now, I think it is kind of attractive in a strange cat-gothic way. Might not think that when my head hits the pillow tonight though Smile
ASAB education View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASAB education Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 11:20pm
Thanks Ladies,
Sorry about the cat picture! It's an activity on animal planet - creaturefy yourself. Might be good for halloween. Upload a photo then add beastie bits... I think there might be a lizard man or amphibian creature!
I'll let the teacher know your thoughts about the newt....
Best wishes, Charlotte
kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 12:13pm
its most likely to be a smooth newt what species of newt do you find around the pond any way that might help?
Wink
kit
ASAB education View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASAB education Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:43pm
 Hey Kit - thanks for your reply.... Chris, the teacher at the school is new and newts have not been mentioned or noticed before! He has been getting reports that the newts are cropping up around the school buildings – in hockey nets and the library. He thinks they are trying to move towards wet areas for the winter. But this is bringing them into contact with pupils. Is there anyway he could build a ‘newt habitat’ in order to keep them down by the pond area so they are safe? Any advice appreciated...
Best wishes,
Charlotte
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 9:51am
Certainly there are ways to help the newts by providing 'hibernacula'

These could be in the form of a log pile in a shady area,

A large pile of of wood, again in a shady area,

Or you could go 'full-blown' and put in a purpose built hibernation site. This would consist of a base of building hardcore covered in a layer of soil, leaving some entry points for the newts. I'll post up some pictures of what we have in our garden for smooth newts.

Edited by GemmaJF - 27 Sep 2011 at 9:52am
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 10:08am

Woodpile, this has recently been added to after 8 years. I will be putting some soil over the front of the pile to provide some insulation against frost for the winter.

Now well overgrown, this is a pile of Willow logs, again in need of replenishing after being in place for several years. (Simply a case of adding more logs on the top).

The 'full-blown' approach, a central core of building rubble capped with soil. The brash on the top is for reptiles so not a requirement (unless you have those too!)

You'll probably see that the message is 'not tidy' for newts. The more that is left surrounding the pond that they can hide under, the more likely they will stay put. Having said this we do still occasionally find the odd newt in the house. It is in their nature to disperse so it may not entirely solve the problem, but will still give them a helping hand to put in features such as those shown.

Edited by GemmaJF - 27 Sep 2011 at 10:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic