the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What the cat dragged in

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 7:24am
Mind you I hate all the dog crap and spent condoms thats left on most tracks and paths that run though our heaths and I dont see much cat sh*t about or many cats on my safaris but I suppose there are some ferals lurking in the undergrowth keith

Edited by AGILIS - 05 Mar 2013 at 7:27am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Hawley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 9:23am
I know what you mean about dog crap, not just on the paths but in plastic bags hung on trees.  Then you have irresponsible dog owners letting their dogs off the lead on the local common during nesting season so that the nesting birds (nightjar & dartford warbler - far more rare than common lizards) get chased off their nests.

But, and it is a big but, I can also see the pleasure that dogs bring to their owners, most of whom are responsible, so I wouldn't want to see them banned or kept indoors.

It's all about tolerance.
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 10:11am
I'm gonna take my little prototype bell collar out today and tinkle it at some lizards, see what they do. I want some scientific quantification of the truth god damn it!LOL

I'll report back, and if successful, i'm going on the Dragons Den. Duncan can keep his wad the mean....

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:38pm
You could get arrested for tinkling at lizards or any other form of public tinkling keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:04pm

Hi Ben,

I was going to attach your posts as quotes, but I thought, no point clogging up another page. All I did was install an article from the internet on RAUK.

So what if its from Daily Mail, what's that got to do with the price of eggs? And I'm not sure where you get the idea that "I dream of a cat cull" or that "I have anger towards cats". I don't, I quite like them as it happens and yes I would get a kitten if I wasn't out all day at work... Mmmm, maybe when I retire...

But what with cats and the pheasants facts that I posted up - 35 million released every year, what with the pesticides and the traffic and pollution, I'm just saying, isn't it marvellous that we have  any reptiles and amphibians left around cities!

Just a thought...

R
RobV
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 5:42pm
Hi Rob. sorry, i certainly wasnt aiming anything at anyone here. the cull quip was intended to be lighthearted. as was the DM - will post something from the Morning Star soon (LOL)
but there certainly are people about who would leap at the chance to carry a cat cull out.

cheers
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 8:54pm
Are there ben?

As it is your cat cull that will never apparently happen, happens every day. Hundreds of them needlessly euthanized  by 'caring' animal charities who take money from little old ladies who die and leave their houses to the charities. Sadly they don't actually have room for all the stray cats so the vast majority go to the big cattery in the sky - despite what the television and poster campaigns might claim......

I think most of us would rather see an end to it rather than promote more of the same.
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:17pm
I love cats and have two of my own but I would welcome the possibility of compulsory neutering of cats and some kind of restricted licence being needed to breed them. As with dogs there are just far too many irresponsible owners out there. As a postman I see loads and stray cats on a daily basis that have lost their cute and fluffy kitten appeal and have since been banished from entering the homes they once lived in. This should be a criminal offence. If you're not prepared to be a responsible keeper of these animals then you should have that privilege taken away from you. And I don't think it should be everyone's instant right to keep these animals regardless of their circumstances either.

Jason
S10 WRM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S10 WRM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 8:31pm
This is an interesting discussion and personally i am definitely on the side of culling cats but isn't it rather old news? Michael Woods presented on this at the HWM when it was held at Edinburgh Zoo, about 1999 or 2000 i think it was. Also he died about 3 years ago.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by S10 WRM S10 WRM wrote:

This is an interesting discussion and personally i am definitely on the side of culling cats but isn't it rather old news? Michael Woods presented on this at the HWM when it was held at Edinburgh Zoo, about 1999 or 2000 i think it was. Also he died about 3 years ago.

Welcome to the forum,

It is always good to have the old debate about cats, love them of loathe them, I think an issue that should be aired from time to time for all to have an opinion on.

As it is the wildlife issue is far outweighed in my mind by the cat welfare issues. It is just one more of those pathetically sad situation we as a allegedly intelligent beings do not really have a solution for.

As it is if I was going to wipe out as much wildlife as possible I would probably:

1) Remove as much habitat as possible

2) Regularly plough and spray the cleared areas with chemicals that either directly kill the target animals or elements of their food chain

3) Introduce a couple of non-native predatory species to clear up what is left.

Welcome to Conservation UK style Wink

The cat issue is only an issue because of the other continuing pressures and an apparent increase in ownership. I do not want to see a cull, I've seen enough cats killed because nobody knew what to do with them for a lifetime to be honest.

I would though like owners to consider keeping them indoors and would welcome a change in the current legislation which allows cats to free roam on others property and in the wild. That should be an offence, simple as that.

If it were, then people would have to be responsible for ensuring their own gardens contained their own cats, or keep them indoors, else face prosecution. Simple really. I bet it never ever happens.

Edited by GemmaJF - 06 Mar 2013 at 11:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic