the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did this slow worm die of?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did this slow worm die of?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 1:20pm
Does anybody have any ideas as to what might have led to this slow worms death??  I found it underneath a corrugated tin.  It was flattened in the region where the skin is flaking off.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 5:22pm
at the risk of sounding obvious, perhaps someone or something trod on the tin and crushed it?  I have found crushed slowworms and once a crushed smooth snake (juvenile) under badly placed tins on hard ground and even in the middle of a footpath on Dorset heaths, which is a recipe for disaster.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 11:01pm
Occasionally I find a slow worm under my Coroline covers that is dead and seemingly squashed. Now I know it has not been squashed as I don't stand on the covers and don't have grazing cattle or horses in my garden where the slow worms are. A mystery.
Suz
Hawley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 9:23am
A mystery indeed. The tin in question is tucked away and there's an overhanging gorse bush so you could only stand on it if you were hunched over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic