the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

weird grass snake stuff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 6:53pm
Thanks Keith; did they have film back then?LOL
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:48am
sorry Will I meant plates keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 7:07am
Ah, those were the days!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 3:44pm
They taught me a school how to make a 'pin hole' camera, it was rubbish though!
Dave Pennington View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 1:19pm
Living by the Sefton Dunes and so not having contact with wild snakes here and I'm no expert, but would the coiled male and female Grass snakes be doing this to warm each other?
Dave Pennington
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 11:47am
Hi Dave - sorry must have missed your post here.  I would be doubtful, given that they were both cold to the touch and very sluggish, and under a cold tin.  I could understand that with homeotherms, but not sure this would work with the grassies. 
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 12:34pm
I suppose coiling up together might reduce the surface area exposed to the wind but why attempt to bask on such a day? Also i can't imagine there was any transference of body heat between the two animals; the female i caught was extremely cold and there was no perceivable heat radiating from the sun (far from it). I could see no reason whatsoever for the animals to be out and about. If the animal was migrating to its winter residence why the two together and why were they coiled up/immobile as if basking.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 2:59pm
I  have to agree, male adder huddle together at the start of the season, a few weeks later they don't want to be near to each other. I've often seen 'huddled' animals under cold tins and I thought it was a way to minimise any heat loss. In a couple of cases this has been different species so I assumed it related to a thermoregulation tactic rather than anything else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic