the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

weird grass snake stuff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weird grass snake stuff
    Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 3:36pm
Thought I'd go to a local site for perhaps the last chance to spot a reptile this year; with temps of 10degC and occasional sun I was thinking perhaps a juv common lizard at best.  But first I found a stone cold grass snake in a bush...

and then, closeby, a speckled individual, also very cold...

I then decided to turn a nearby tin, also stone cold, and found a male and female grass snake entwined as if having mated or preparing to mate... circumstantial, I know, but I can't fathom why else they would be under a stone cold tin twined together

JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 1:47pm
Hi Will. I'd already given up on the hope of finding any Grass Snakes still about now that the weather has turned colder. That speckled specimen is great. I've never seen one like that before.

Jason
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 8:12pm
Hi Jason

yes, me too - but they're evidently still out and about. 

I've not seen one speckled like this before, with the front half liberally flecked with duck-egg blue, fading to the tail.  However, twenty years ago at the same site, I found a specimen which had whitish speckles along the whole body, and took a slide of it (remember slide photography and slide projectors?! I regularly used a projector which overheated and melted my prized slides...)  So, here's a photo of the speckled one from yesterday from above, and below this is a copy of the old slide of one of its possible ancestors from a couple of decades ago:

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 9:48pm
Clap Brilliant Will, that is amazing with the pictures 20 years apart. I couldn't even afford a camera 20 years ago let alone a slide projector! I've never seen either of these colourations before.
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 9:59pm
Amazing Will. Thanks for sharing those. I love seeing colour and pattern variations in our snakes.

Jason

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 6:47am
Thanks both!  Gemma - I inherited the projector from my grandparents (strictly a 1950s model!)
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 10:08am
I had a similar day late last week in that it was apparently too cold and overcast for natrix. At best I was hoping to record adder and the usual pre-hibernation natrix sloughs in bracken. As well as several adder and half a dozen natrix sloughs i also recorded four active grass snakes (two at the hibernaculum), including one male and female entwined (not apparently mating or within close range of a potential hibernation site). The weather really was poor (no sun all day) and a brisk cool wind was whipping through the site with occasional drizzle (no tins at this site). I found it notable as a strange day of herping

Interesting markings though Will, i would love to see something like that

Worryingly perhaps??I am still finding gravid Slow-worms at another site. What happens to these/or their offspring if the mother goes into early brumation? Do the mothers ingest them, force birth/abort them or, dare i say, postpone the birth until spring?  

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 12:22pm
Very interesting - sounds just like my experience, right down to the grass snake 'pair'.  Also interesting about the slowworms; along with adder and smooth snake I wouldn't be suprised if they do, at least occasionally, overwinter when gravid, and produce their young in the spring (perhaps especially so this year, given the awful weather...)
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 4:18pm
I just got back from checking one of my woodland sites that has both small adder & grass snake populations. No sign of any snakes today unfortunately. There were no adders visible at their hibernaculum either. I did see an adult female slow worm slithering over damp leaves on the edge of the woods. I picked her up to see how cold she was and she was very cold indeed. She could barely move. I surprised she was out when there was no sun in the sky to warm her up.

Jason

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 4:59pm
Well spotted Will ,and Gemma couldnt afford a camera I couldnt afford a roll of film.keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic