the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hindhead Commons update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hindhead Commons update
    Posted: 01 Aug 2005 at 4:58pm

Some of our earliest forum members may remember a conservation task undertaken at Hindhead Commons Surrey during the winter of 2003. The particular area the task concentrated on has been known to me for over 25 years and is in fact the first place I ever saw adder. Back then there were a number of log and brash piles that were ideal for all four widespread species. Over the years the piles rotted away and birch began to take over. On returning to the site in recent years I was saddened that adder were no longer present and the birch had shaded the area totally.

In the winter of 2003 with fantastic support from the NT staff, much of the birch was felled and some huge log and brash piles created. I visited the site on Sunday and this is how the habitat piles have developed.

In the second picture there is a comparison between a couple of piles engulfed in bracken that has grown since the clearance and a more open pile. The bracken has always been vital in this area, producing fantastic cover once it dries off.

And guess what are back in the area? One of last years juveniles in one of the log and brash piles yesterday, the first adder I've seen in this area for over 20 years

Hopefully this winter we'll be able to get a bit more clearance done and a few more piles made

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic