the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

too tyred to fight ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 4:32pm
Me too Suzi, it's quite odd when someone posts a picture of an 'old friend', especially if they are a bit secretive about sites, nice to know the animal is still about though. Big smile

We have a couple of old tyres in the wildlife garden, most likely to produce animals on overcast days and in some conditions they get smothered by lizards trying to warm up.
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 10:17am
Hey Will, Looks like the male and female sands have had a lovers tiff!! maybe giving her the cold shoulder before he finds another female.
Paul Hudson
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 11:15am
definitely a look of the cold shoulder there!  in fact there was another female within a few metres, being guarded by another male, and our male here made a visit to the other one but was quickly driven away - sandy soap opera style.
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 11:21am
I bet they have a wife swop at some point though!
Paul Hudson
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 12:20pm
pretty much like an Eastenders storyline, I guess..
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 9:14pm
same site - from today.  That's got to hurt!

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 7:30pm
Were abouts was you will ?keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:32am
mainly down at Studland Keith.  On Sunday the sunshine crept across to Purbeck but no further east for much of the day.
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:39am
Wonderful pictures - the wild look in that male's eye as he bites! They've got a lot of ticks, though.
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:00pm
About twenty years ago I did some voluntary work moving animals from sites due to be built-on, and I remember a site where the Sand Lizards were huge. Doug Mills said they were the biggest he'd ever seen. It was a suburban site where piles of rubble had been dumped, which the lizards inhabited. They could disappear into the pile in a flash, and the theory was that they survived to grow so large because birds couldn't land and grab them on the rubble. I wonder, too, whether there were no ticks on that site, because of the rubble and because of the absence of deer. On Studland, I've noticed, it's rare to see a very large specimen. Is it because as they grow larger they become slower and more conspicuous, and get picked off by birds and snakes? And do ticks play a part, weakening them and making them slower?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic