the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

toad with broken leg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 10:53am

Fascinating about the injured toads! Wonder how their bodies cope with injured limbs and what happens to them after the initial injury? Cos I sometimes see them like the day after they’ve been injured wandering around in daylight and I always just presume that that’s the odd behaviour they do before they die. & usually mangled toads haven’t got neat amputations and are dragging their dead broken legs around with them. When I first came onto this forum and said Uncle Derek had chopped off a toads legs with a knife I’ve always regretted doing that ever since because I thought it went into the bushes and died horribly slowly later. Cos it had bones sticking out as stumps, I figured it’d die from an infection and gangrene. Hence why ever since I’ve been more ruthless and not so optimistic with injured ones. I saw one once in daylight by the road with a squashed foot (a day or so before I got into toading) and it was going round and round in circles, I put that in the undergrowth but have wondered what happened to it. Did it die later? Did it live but never make it back to the canal cos it continued to just go round in circles forever? Who knows. I’ve euthanised ones minutes after they’ve been hit by cars when they’ve had their heads squashed and they’ve lost an eye or both, I always thought I was doing the right thing as I didn’t know if they’d be able to eat still and those ones are always the ones that just sit there and don’t move. One escaped me though, it had a f*cked eye and I had nowhere to keep it whilst I was busy picking up others so I put it to safety ‘til the end of the night and I went back to decide what to do with it but it had walked off. One eye was all bloody and horrible though but it must have recovered from the shock. It’s tough making life and death decisions. I’ve seen far worse head shots than that one though. I know I’ve talked about it a lot on this forum and some oldies have said to take them to the vets but when I took a toad in daylight with a mangled front arm to it’s elbow they put it down. If injured toads really do have the chance of survival then that’d have been one I’d have thought could maybe of survived (hence why I took it to the vets instead of squashing it). Perhaps I should have taken it home and gotten some scissors and chopped it’s mangled arm off completely and let it go to give it a chance? What do you suggest I do in future with toads that I think could possibly survive with an injured limb? Leave it hanging off and dragging around and just let the toad be or do you think I should chop it off? Would it cause it terrible suffering or would it be better to get it off?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 10:56am

& what about all the toads with guts or their tongue or whatever it is coming out of their mouths, are all them defo gonna’s? I’ve always thought so though I’ve let a few go cos they still seem lively. Is it possible for them to re-swallow their insides and live? Took one of them ones home once and it died later that night, turned out it was more injured than I first thought, it’s shoulders looked out of place when I was looking at it properly the next day when it was dead but it was so lively the night before that I didn’t have the heart to kill it myself.

kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 6:55pm
the best thing to do is setup a tank with burrows and lots of cover put grass seeds or birds seeds in there and put all the crickets from the box in that seems to work the best ill post pics of one of my setups soon
kit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic