the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

toad taddies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: toad taddies
    Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 5:07pm
not the best photos I'm afraid, but I thought I would share these with you - they're from a local pond.  I have never seen toad tadpoles this speckled / golden before - they've always been jet black, in fact I thought they were frogpoles when I first saw them.  I assume the light colouration is due to the fact that they are on a sandy substrate, rather than any genetic aspect. 

'golden' toad tadpoles:

Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 9:34am
Very interesting. 

Was this in strong sunlight? I've noticed that common toad tadpoles often appear to have very tiny gold speckles, and to be chocolate brown, rather than black, when viewed in strong sunlight. 

I've never seen anything like the one in the second picture. I'd have been tempted to hang on that one to see if it changed colour...
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 9:46am
it's a fairly shallow pond, so I think the exposure to sunlight could well be a factor. I was tempted to take that marbled one into custody, I must say...   I'll see if I can find it again in the next day or two and confine it to an aquarium tank for further obs.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 2:42pm
Interesting find Will - thanks for posting
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 7:44pm
thanks Ben, as a follow-up, all the toadlets around the edge of the pond looked normal coloured to me when I visited the site a couple of days ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic