the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

toad crossings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: toad crossings
    Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 6:17am
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 3:50pm

Wow Tim that's a long link! I thought when I read the first bit that toads were already on the march!

Still got our snow here in East Devon and the rain this afternoon hasn't shifted much of it. Frost tonight so slippery tomorrow. The pond has been frozen for days but did briefly thaw out this afternoon.

Suz
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 9:40am
Nothing moving yet in Surrey, although possibly suitable weather conditions on Sunday night!

All we have using our toad-tunnels so far are small mammals and birds!

Video

Our toad crossings here

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
DrDom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrDom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 6:02pm
One of the first in Surrey? This guy was at tennis on Tuesday night (17/02/09) in Worplesdon, Guildford- 3m up the fence! Sorry for the ropey phone-picture. Has anyone come across fence climbing? or could a bird have dropped this one?

Dominic Tantram - Guildford
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group (SARG)
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 6:21pm
Hi Dominic,

Almost certainly climbed there itself. I have two in the garden...one lives in an apple tree (about 10ft up, climbs through Ivy to get there), and another that lives in the hedge, about 6ft up. They don't climb gracefully...but they sure do climb!
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2009 at 3:02pm
Yeah!...

First video of a wild toad using the toad-tunnel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tng6q7eMe8Q
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 7:16am

Cool video Vicar. My dad was a badger crusader and he made sure that badger tunnels got put in the bypass when it was getting built near our way.

I like the climbing frog pic. I saw a toad half hanging out of a wall last toad grabbing season, it never got to set foot on the ground to make itĘs migrate, I yanked it out and stuck it in my bucket.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic