the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TINS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TINS
    Posted: 31 Jul 2004 at 9:04pm

i have required six tin shelfs out of some filing cabinets from work they measure 36inches by 17inches i have 6 of these are they big enough to attract adders and grass snakes i have been useing  two old car doors with great efect apart from adders untill someone has taken them had been using them for two years

many thanks  paul

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2004 at 4:46pm

Hi Paul,

they should be OK though there are no hard and fast rules in my experience, small tins say 16x16 inches seem to only attract neo's snakes from what I've seen but are still good for slow-worm and lizards. I've 2 adders sites where they simply don't seem to use the tins at all, even though they have been down for a season or more and I'm inclining to state that refugia really can't be relied on with adder. (both sites have good to exceptional populations, the tins are close to where I see animals visually, yet they are rarely found under tin or felt even in optimal conditions)

On the other side of the scale I've found slow-worms under coke tins before!

It would be interesting to know if anyone has studied refugia size, I know Lee Brady has done a lot with comparing materials with interesting results.

*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2004 at 9:40pm

many thanks would be intresting to find out about the size of refugia

frogworlduk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogworlduk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 7:32am

at a site that i'm helping with in camberley i know someone is studying tin sizes. as there are the usual medium tins and large tins and also tiny tins which are really just strips. these do seem to ony attract neos where we found around alot of neo slow worms. can't have been that old as theywere still a white and grey colour. but its interesting to see that there were loads under each one. yet we only found a one slow worm under around 4 large sheets and a couple under the medium sheets.

forgot to say the tins were around 7" X 16" i think!

mark

Edited by frogworlduk
Rex Sumner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Sumner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 9:56am

Would smaller ones be more attractive because escape routes are closer?

I have tended to find slow worms nearer the edge of a tin than in the middle - perhaps that would be for a similar reason?

Rex
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2004 at 1:15am

is it to late in year to put tins down now or can i put them down  ready for next year

paul

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2004 at 11:48am

Hi Paul,

Now is good time, July/August are often poor for reptile survey, but September can be very good, put them down now and let them settle in for a couple of weeks and with a bit of luck you will record this years neo's in September. They will also be well placed for an early start next season.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic