the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tick loads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tick loads
    Posted: 18 May 2013 at 8:51pm
Male sandies often have more ticks than females; perhaps due to increased wandering looking for females, or maybe something to do with reduced fitness after all their combat and mating exertions - at the site where these photos were taken, the males have huge numbers of ticks on them, which must have some impact on their health.  Any thoughts about why males have more ticks than females generally?

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 4:41am
Why did I read the thread title as 'lick toads' ????

I would guess Will the factors you have put forward contribute, particularly I would have thought the males being more mobile than the females and thus more likely to encounter the ticks. I wonder though with marked colour sexual dimorphism in Sand lizards if that is a factor too, perhaps ticks see green well and latch on to the males more often? Total guess but something to consider. 
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 3:58pm
Isn't it body-warmth that attracts ticks? I wonder whether the males, being more active, are warmer. What I've wondered - and asked here before - is why the ticks always go to that area just behind the armpit. Is that the warmest part of the body for some reason?

Richard

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 6:07pm
Could be, I guess.  re the armpit, I assumed it was the one spot which the poor animals couldn't reach to scratch them off?
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 6:24pm

That's interesting. One then has to assume that the ticks know that, and indeed know how to find their way to that spot, either by having some sort of concept of the lizard's whole shape, which seems unlikely, or by being guided by some sort of information, such as heat or chemical trace.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 8:08pm
Or just a kind of lottery?  ticks which get dislodged aren't seen on the lizards' bodies?  would be interesting to know if they get eaten by the lizards or just drop off only to reattach another day...
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 9:28pm
Having struggled to remove ticks from my own body, I'm not convinced. Scratching them off is a very bad idea. The jaws remain in your flesh, and the area of the bite gets very itchy and becomes infected, nearly always. I don't see why it should be different for lizards.
Iulia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 9:34pm
sorry that first pic makes me feel quite ill ................. Dead

poor thing 
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 9:40pm
That area behind the armpit is where you see the heartbeat movement, isn't it? Perhaps that movement attracts the ticks, and perhaps that area is warmest because close to the heart.

Yes - I've an enthusiastic interest in most living creatures, but ticks make me shudder, partly because of the fear of Lyme disease. The philosopher Gilles Deleuze particularly liked them, though, I seem to remember.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 11:01am
I like the warmth idea, it has been discussed before that the males are far more open when basking and the females tend to mosaic bask, so you could be onto something there Richard. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic