the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Cat War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 9:41pm
That looks like a good water blaster Gemma, do you have a link?
As we lost our dog about a month a go the cats are returning!!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 7:41am
Yep here's the link:

The reviews at the bottom of the page are pretty accurate, I can get it to go about 40 feet. Rather than firing a jet of water it is more like a huge 'pulse' which if aimed upwards rains down on quite a big area. Should give a cat a good soaking! 

Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 8:05am
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 8:15am
Cheers for the link Paul. We don't get a lot of water pressure for the hose here and from what I've read this one and the similar 'scarecrow' both work best with high pressure at the hose. 

I've also looked at the electronic cat deterrents with the RSPB recommending one at £60 but claiming only a 30% reduction in cat visits, doesn't seem good value for money.

My current thinking is to get the areas the cats use reduced, then if I do use any automated devices later on they can be placed in the most effective positions.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 3:00pm
Update on the clearance work. I was concerned that the removal of the brambles, privet etc would impact birds staging to the bird table. Seems they don't mind that the stuff is now piled on the log piles and are using it again for the same purpose. Nice to see them doing so.

There was a black and white cat that practically lived in the wildlife garden, with the cover now totally removed, only seen it way up the back field in the past couple of days Smile

Here is all the CDs prepared. I have put a length of hosepipe through the center of each to keep them in the vertical  plane when strung along the support wire. The hosepipe is slightly larger than the hole, but can be persuaded in after soaking in boiling water.

CDs installed:

I've had difficulty stopping the CDs bunching up along the support wire in the wind. Tried kinking it, tried cable ties, neither are very effective. Along with solving that problem, there is also the thought that double sided CDs would have made sense. As it is though these are CDs I collected up around the house that were obsolete so they cost me nothing. I think 54 in total spaced about 20 cm apart.

I've now put in an extraordinary amount of time and effort towards the Cat War. Several days clearing the old hedge and fence, the entire morning preparing and stringing up CDs. Good to be fighting back though Wink

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 3:29pm
phenomenal effort Gemma, I hope it works!!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 4:19pm
Your water blaster looks the business! Years ago I bought one of those kids' water blasters (orange and fluorescent green!) but it was useless. It didn't pump the water far enough and the cats used to just watch me (with amusement?). I do hope all your preventative work pays off. 
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 4:32pm
Time will tell Will!

It's a blast Suz (sorry I can't help myself sometimes). It's one of those things where the design is so simple, just a tube with a plunger but the effect is great.

I'm thinking of putting up a camera to see how well the CDs work (or don't). I found a video on Youtube of an electronic deterrent, it turned out to be very short range and the cats quickly learnt to walk around it. Could be useful though in strategic spots.

Came up with a solution for the CD spacing. Going to cut  20 cm lengths of hose pipe to fit between each CD when I'm in the mood! This will then keep them all evenly spaced out. 

In the end I guess it will be a new mesh fence and hawthorn along the 'Front Line', but for now I want the back open whilst renovating the pond, so an ideal time to test the CDs out.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 5:45pm
First test of the CD deterrent! Nearest neighbours cat has been passing the back of the garden along the cleared area for the past few days. 

Watched it approach the line of CDs from the other side to its home. Quite amazing. It sat down for a minute, then ran like it was seriously spooked keeping a wide birth from the CDs! Can't be totally sure I didn't spook it whilst watching, but at least it didn't just go up to the CDs and inspect them.
AndyS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 6:55pm
Thanks for the link Gemma, will order one very soon Thumbs Up .... just had a thought for anti cat deterrents Lamp fill balloons with water, tie about 18" off the ground, smear with a bit of Tuna, cat smells it goes to investigate,stands on hind legs to get to said balloon Claws out to hold balloon "POP" cat drenched.LOL .... maybe not good if you get foxes or badgers in the garden.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic