the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tadpoles over winter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJfr0ggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tadpoles over winter?
    Posted: 21 Sep 2003 at 12:40am

Hi, ive still got frog tadpoles in my small pond which are quite small, and most havent even got leg buds.

Im wondering wether it would be worth putting them is a cool place, which doesnt get frosty, so they can survive the winter, and the small pond is very shallow, last year it almost froze solid!

AJfr0ggy

green_toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green_toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2003 at 8:15pm

Hi.

I've noticrd the same thing in my pond, so I am hoping that there is some one on here who knows what to do for the best.

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2003 at 8:49pm
The advice for adult frogs concerning ice is to place a rubber football in the pond. This ensures that oxygen exchange can take place so the adults do not suffocate during prolonged cold periods where ice has formed.

Just leave the ball floating in the pond, in icy weather remove it during the day to leave a hole in the ice, and put it back in the hole at night to stop the hole freezing over. (an alternative is to poor boiling water on the ice, but I find the ball method easiest)

This can be very important in the spring for a frog pond, adults may become active in early warm weather and then suffer if there is a cold spell for a few days.

This should work for over-wintering tadpoles just as well.

If you fear the pond will actually freeze solid, I would move them to a deeper neighbours pond if possible.

I wouldn't recommend attempts to captive rear if they are likely to metamorphose during the colder months and cannot be released. Tiny common frogs are difficult to keep and I usually release them asap.

There is still time for them to complete metamorphosis, so do not worry too much until late October.
dave n dogs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave n dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2004 at 12:04pm

Hiya folks,

I have an old bath, planted up, contains beetles, snails etc.  I guess there are 50-80 taddies still present.  Plump and looking good.  I started this 'mini pond' off last spring, suplement the food chain with fish pellets and small chicken bones, stripped of meat, fat, grease.  The taddies love it!

My main pond attracted over a dozen mating frogs last year, it's not taddie friendly due to fish and the pump/filter set up, (My reason for the bath) If 1 in 1000 survived to froglet I would be surprised.  For those I relocate, I witness a survival rate of about 80%.  Once they leave it is up to them.

I will keep you posted regards my over wintered friends.

Dave n dogs

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic