the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Survey Licence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Survey Licence
    Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 9:06am

Just a quick question, how would the field herper go about applying for licence's to specifically look for heavily protected species, ie Great Crested Newts, Smooth Snakes, Natterjack Toads, etc?

Is there any way around it? Or are they only eligable for people who are registered to survey for Natural England, or Ecological Consultants/Field researchers?

Thanks.

JamesM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 10:27am
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:45pm

The way I did it James for my GCN licence was to work with one reference provider in the field for several nights, seeing survey techniques, practicing them etc (i.e I got to lug the bags of bottle traps around lol) for the field experience.

The second reference provider (Herpetologic) just happened to also be running a field course, so a bit of class room in the morning and some field time in the afternoon.

It's really not difficult at all, just takes some motivation which I know you have plenty of and of course you get to meet knowledgeable people along the way. You will in most cases need to demonstrate a certain amount of knowledge/ability to the reference provider - so worth reading up on what you can.

There isn't a lot of point gaining licences unless you need them really, but the GCN licence is a must have if you want to work in herp consultancy. Just make sure you fill it in for 'all counties'.

JamesM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:49pm
Thanks, Gemma!
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 1:09pm
I'm not sure where you are James, but nowadays in Wales for GCNs they ask that you have attended an 'approved' training course and have undertaken 10 site visits, so people keep a log book of the times they been out with someone with a licence. It's probably best if you are named on someone else's licence first.

It's changed a lot since I started out in the 90's - I just had 2 referees, no formal experience, and that was it, I got a licence.
Local Authority Ecologist
JamesM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 1:11pm

I'm in the Hampshire area, Southampton to be precise.

It's just apparent that Natural England are being moral pain's in the a*ses by not getting back to me as soon as possible.

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 2:19pm
Hi james

it would be worth your while contacting the HARG about
getting experience with GCN's - they are carrying out a
series of surveys this year for gcns -

I am also carrying out surveys on amphibians in Hampshire
so if you would like to help out then please do get in
touch

J
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
JamesM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 2:25pm

Hi Herpetologic,

I will certainly look in to getting in touch with the HARG now.

Do you know if they could assist me in getting my other licenses??

Thanks.

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 2:32pm
They may have people who are licensed for natterjacks,
smooth snakes and sand lizards - so you could volunteer for
those surveys.

Also SARG (vicar) have protected species survey training
events - try contacting them as well.

J
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
JamesM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 2:43pm

http://www.hwt.org.uk/data/files/MktgMemb/volunteerenquiryfo rmv4.pdf

I am filling out the voluntry form, however it says, "What paticular type of voluntry work interests you?"

I would like to conduct surveys, so which boxes do you suggest I mark in order?

James.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic