the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange dead reptile - Scotland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bktheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange dead reptile - Scotland
    Posted: 14 Jun 2004 at 9:16pm

Recently (13th June 2003) on a walk by sand dunes at Aberlady bay in East Lothian, Scotland, I came across what appeared to be a dead lizard. The tail was long and pointed. Not much of the animal remained, only the backbone and tail really, however the scaly skin was still visible which appeared to have several rows of spikes (like little sharks teeth) running the length of the spine and someway down the tail.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2004 at 11:50pm

wild guess, but possibly a pet green iguana?

Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 9:55am
How big was it?

WW
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Donny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 6:14pm

As we all know, Scotland is in fact home to one of the UK's, if not the world's, rarest reptiles....So, did your lizard look anything like this?

Edited by Donny
bktheman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bktheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 10:31pm

I went back to the site the other day, picked up the remains, and took it to the local nature reserve warden. I must say he was a bit puzzled too. He said it was too big (over a foot long) to be any of our native lizards. After thinking about it for a while, I thought the only other thing it could probably have been (considering it was found by the sea) is perhaps a Thornback Ray or Roker, this would explain the "teeth" down the back and long tail as well as the scaly skin. There wasn't much else left of the animal, but I guess the local scavangers ripped off and ate most of the meaty parts and dropped the bony tail and indigestible parts some way behind the sand dunes. (Honestly, it really did look like some weird reptile remains!)

Of course, I am still holding out for confirmation of the nessie theory.

I'll keep you all posted if I get any update from the Warden.

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 10:57pm
LOL Donny, if they ever do find nessie it will put an end to people complaining about the UK's 'impoverished' reptile biodiversity!
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2004 at 5:13pm

or even a water dragon

RobV
j gaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j gaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2004 at 8:51pm
In the cold light of day (just), i'm afraid to say this thing has never existed _but this (sad) fact hasn't dampened my interest in the LNM; i've followed it since the mid-1970's, collecting some lovely old books along the way

As for 'sea serpents' . . . now that's a different kettle of fish

I'm prepared to stick my neck out on these, as elusive as they are . . .

John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic