the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

standing under a Beech tree!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: standing under a Beech tree!
    Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 4:34pm
i mean RIGHT UNDER. roots and all!

it looks a bit like mushroom mycelium;

view from opposite end of "tunnel" - you can just see the roots at the apex;

this is the "jackdaw" quarry/stone mine.
i got my mum to show me all the places on the south facing farm where she grew up that used to have adders. this was one of them. back then it looked a lot different. the woodland has matured.
vivs persisted along the edges of this 60a site until the 70s - i saw them myself.
during the 1940s Italian POWs were sent in to cut down lots of trees for the war effort which probably did the herps a good turn.
an event well remembered by older villagers in nearby Thrupp.

other adder hotspots were the grassy openings where my mother and her (5!) sisters gathered wild strawberries.

it was sad to walk where adders and vivs once thrived and are now extinct.
the only site with adders in this valley nowadays is stroud cemetery. even there the nos are very low.
they used to be easily encountered there but in recent years ive only seen 1 and member kevb says hes only seen a couple of individuals - ones he recognises.
from what ive learned on RAUK (and assuming my interpretations are correct), something needs to be done urgently.
or its inbreeding depression leading to yet another local extinction and loss of valuable genetic diversity which could potentially invigorate a larger population elsewhere.
since habitat recreation and adder reintro seems highly unlikely why not rescue them while we still can?
i hope im wrong. like to hear members thoughts.

however, my spirit was lifted when, wandering through the quarry,i disturbed a pair of barn owls which briefly alighted into a nearby tree.
i was way too slow with the camera though!

there are probably bats in the mines too but i didnt have a torch with me to look. probably best not to disturb them anyway eh?
Greater Horseshoe bats roost in other local stone mines.

wistfully retracing her youth;

all the best members!
LONG LIVE RAUK!
ben
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 5:44pm

Hi Ben

Fascinating photos - a beautiful spot considering it is the remnants of man-made chaos. I had a guesstimate of where you were with the aid of OS map and Google and was fascinated to see that about 1/2 kilometre to the east (IF I was in the right place!) is a place called "Snakeshole". Further evidence, perhaps of what has been sadly lost?

You are almost certainly right regarding mycelium. Recent research suggests that the extensive mycelium networks through the roots of many plants actually act almost act as some sort of plant neural network.

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:10am
Interesting but sad.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:06pm
thanks chris.
yes, your detective work was accurate.
youre absolutely right i think - Snakeshole got its name for good reason.
further, etchings, paintings and descriptions of the valley from the 18th and 19th centuries in Humphrey Households book on the Thames and Severn canal coupled with viv populations dotted all along the valley are, i think, further evidence that this was once a haven for adder with the surrounding pasture then woodland too and far less human habitation.

even i can see that Park Wood is just a remnant patch of a much bigger habitat expanse.

heres a pic taken from Rodborough common on the opposing side of the valley;

in my mums youth, the open, grassy glades with adders were scattered through the woodland and the Jackdaw Quarries lie in the Northeast corner.
Snakeshole and Stroud Cemetery are to the West (out of pic)

ben
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic