the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Wildlife Gardening
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Species motel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Singingjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Species motel
    Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 10:53pm
I have a north London allotment, and on moving a scruffy old bit of mdf left there by a previous tenant, I was delighted to find toads, a slow worm and a common newt in residence. while they are very welcome to stay there, the mdf will not last for ever. what should I do to provide good habitats for all these species?  I'm thinking of creating a pond (advice on that gratefully received, too)  but would also like to create secure hibernation/basking sites for all the species I've found so far. The site is heavy clay, and quite waterlogged in winter.  Thanks
Singingjay
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 12:10pm
Hi, 

I'm on Essex clay and have similar animals in the garden.

Digging a pond is a great idea and the animals will benefit. It's an entire subject in itself but common newts will benefit from just about any type and size of pond you choose. Perhaps best to decide what sort of pond appeals or fits the budget and more specific advice could be given.

The mdf could be replaced by some corrugated tin, or bitumen roofing felt. We use this to survey for the animals and they last a good time. This will give you a place where you can look to see animals on a regular basis.

An artificial hibernaculum would be a great benefit on the clay. Essentially it would have a center made-up from old building rubble or hardcore. This is then capped with soil (spoils from the pond makes sense). You can leave some of the rubble exposed to provide a way in, or wait and small mammals will form tunnels to the central core. 

I top off my hibernation banks in the garden with logs and a mixture of brambles and willow cuttings to give plenty of hiding places. I have two that I built. One out in the open sun for reptiles, another in the shade which benefits amphibians.

Putting in a compost heap will benefit the slow worms and grass snakes if they are about. (and be of great benefit to you for the allotment).

In all the key thing is to avoid tidiness by letting some areas overgrow with weeds where you can, leave things like plant pots lying about and even old tyres, as they all can provide homes for animals.

My garden is split between regimented rows of veggies and a very wild wildlife garden, often very overgrown with weeds, it has the pond, hibernation banks and the compost heap tucked out of site. I'm in the process of renovating the pond and planning on using a clay lining which I'll post up some info on in the next month or so.

Hope that gives a start, I'm sure others will add information to my brief answer.
Singingjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Singingjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 6:30pm
Thanks for this, it's very helpful.  I forgot to check this site for ages - sorry for the slowness of response.  No problems with keeping my allotment scruffy; great to have a really good excuse!  I'll build some structures.

Thanks again
Singingjay
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic