the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So how many musicians do we have on Rauk?+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 58>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So how many musicians do we have on Rauk?+
    Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:22pm
OK, it's overcast (again) the rain has stopped at least, but still a day in for me. Made me wonder as we all seem to be generally on the same sort of wave lengths how many members play guitar etc? I remember Al Hyde was a big Bowie fan and have come across his guitar tabs on the web in the past.

My main 'thing' is playing Goth guitar, though I have a wide taste in music I just love the sound of a clean electric guitar with open strings and unusual chords spliced with a distortion guitar playing power chords. 

So over to you guys...
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 5:42pm
me and my brother when we were drunk

tim
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 6:06pm
Clap Loved the Sultans of Swing and Oasis cover Wink
KimLeaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KimLeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:25pm
Fraud I can't play a stitch on anything but love virtually all types of music especially new music.
Kim
KimLeaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KimLeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:29pm
Just noticed my note above says fraud instead of fraid (don't you just love predictive text) grrrrrrr.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 9:12pm
i strum guitar enough to write a skeletal song and can also blow a diatonic harmonica passably. played in 4 utterly 'uncommercial' bands down the years yet persevered enough to record 4 self-finananced albums of original material. inc some songs i stand by today.
usually best received in a "live" context, we've supported Hugh Cornwell (the Stranglers), Stiff Little Fingers, Tenpole Tudor, From The Jam, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, New Model Army + various other has-been oldies.
had a few favourable album/gig reviews from notable (and overly generous!!!!) writers.
John Robb (erstwhile NME);

http://louderthanwar.com/chinese-burn-great-punk-rock-from-stroud/

you might think its sh*te folks. well fair enough, lets hear your song then. give me equal opportunity to choose to be negative (or positive) about YOUR creativity.
and if you havent done anything then shut up cos something is always better than nothing.
well thats how i see it and it pays to have a thick skin too.LOL!

whilst my tastes also range wildly Gemma (Noel Coward to Crass) and i also rate (consider these Goth? has any band ever relished this tag?) The Cure, Siouxsie and Bauhaus plus your beloved Doors, it sounds like im at the other end of the scale to you.
i like instant, breezy singalong pop tunes (even rough ones) with arpeggio chords (less is more to me!) best.
esp if theyre armed with what i consider good lyrics -
goes without saying that music preferences are intensely personal eh?

fave band is Abba, fave snake is Adda.
(fave supermarket is Asda)

CB are playing at The Last Jubilee Festival (Bath Racecourse) next month if any noise-loving herpers are at a loose end!;
love to meet any member.

http://www.lastjubilee.co.uk/

all good renditions and especially enjoyed "Alison" Timbo but which guitarist is you??

sorry for long post again but you did ask Gemma!!!

cheers, ben
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 9:23pm
This weather could almost make me play a Neil Diamond song sung track.keith lol

Edited by AGILIS - 03 May 2012 at 9:26pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:46pm
Ben, I really liked the video in the link. When I started getting into live music punk was still being played in pubs all over and I loved it. I spent a lot of time listening to the Stranglers (strangely I know someone who went out with Hugh Cornwell long after he left), Pistols and later stuff like the Subhumans. 

Your right no band relished the title 'Goth' but it was, I was and they can protest as much as they like LOL, the music defined an entire movement from the 'Proto Goth' of Joy Division/Birthday Party to its defining glory in the shape of the Sisters of Mercy. 

Nobody would deny being goth more than Andrew Eldritch of SoM - but the fact was all these bands were being supported by people like me with dyed black crimped hair and a bucket full of foundation on, we were goths, the bands were goth bands and that is how it was. 

It's hard to define quite how it happened when it did, a lot of us liked the Banshees and punk and the goth look was developing before the Sisters of Mercy even played at the early Uni gigs (possibly the look was mostly influenced by Siouxsie/The Damned), but I guess in all we were a bunch of people just waiting for our own bands and sound and they came in the form of the Sisters and later the Mission and Fields of the Nephilim and many others.

In all though there was a lot of using the same scales, chords and devices and that is now what defines to me 'Goth Guitar' in its own right, whether the bands like(d) the label or not - I mean if they insist in playing in Em with the chorus turned up full and using an e-bow, they are goths right?? Wink

PS have to own up, I rate Abba too, nobody can help but admire them in my opinion.

Edited by GemmaJF - 03 May 2012 at 10:49pm
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:59pm

Nice topic Gemma!

yes I used to play classic guitar, but sadly these days don't have time for this, and haven't played for such a long time. Would be keen to take it up again maybe

Very inspired by music though in general. More of a beatles fan at heart , but also like James Morrison, U2  and others. Music plays quite a big part of my life as i cannot work without music playing in the background (except when I am outside in the field of course!).

Seems to help my concentration when writing up reports - so if you see a badly written report of mine, it's not because I was tired that day, it was the music hadn't inspired me Smile.

I love the sound of classic guitar too, and could listen to John Williams for hours.

Good luck with the weather Gemma. Had same problems here with the rain, and today was written off and Friday doesn't look great either to be honest.

Regards
HW, SE Reptile Ecologist

Edited by sussexecology - 03 May 2012 at 11:10pm
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:07pm
great work ben

someone invited me to join a faceboook group where people posted their fav tracks. i enjoyed it to start with but it soon became too difficult to keep up with new posts and there was a lot of stuff that wasn't my thing. 

may i propose we use this thread or start a new one where people are encouraged to post a maximum of one each per day, a track that for whatever reason they want to share with everyone?

as there have been a few mentions for them already, here's a start

tim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 58>
  Share Topic