the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

snake or lizard?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: snake or lizard?
    Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:02pm
This morning at 10 am in hot, sunny weather I saw a small, snake-like reptile cross the path in front of me and disappear into a wall.  It was 6 to 8 inches long; thinner than a pencil; shiny/smooth brown in colour with no obvious markings apart from two brilliant yellow eye spots at the base of the head.  Can someone identify, please.  Jackie
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 2:11pm
Hi Jackie

I think the give away is the two yellow "eye-spots" at the base of the head. These would suggest that it was a baby Grass Snake (one of last year's babies). The only other contender would be a baby Aesculapian Snake - but this would only be in Regent's Park or near the Welsh Mountain Zoo. Both lovely animals that could, of fate is kind, grow quite large and both totally harmless.

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Jackie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 4:40pm
Thanks, Chris.  Sighting was in Leicestershire so guess it was a grass snake - very beautiful anyway.

Jackie

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:31pm
Hi Jackie, we have a grass snake ID page here:

JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 7:31pm
Here's a shot I took back in 2009 of a 6-7 inch juvenile grass snake to help confirm the ID of your sighting:

Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic