the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smooth Snakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smooth Snakes
    Posted: 19 Jul 2003 at 1:05pm

Have Smooth Snakes been reported in the Portsmouth area (S.E. Hants) ?

I have just seen a 18" long, fairly thin, grey/brown snake with dark spots on its back. It was on a patio, climbing up into a lavender bush.

We are fairly near open fields, but there isn't anything I would call heathland in the area. 

johnb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2003 at 12:35am

The picture of the juvenile on the ID page is the closest I could find on the web. In the rat snake pictures I could find the spots were very much too big. The head was dark, but I did not get a side view. The whole encounter was over in less than 30 seconds. That part of the garden has a small pond and lots of dark cover we leave for the frogs.

I kept a close eye on the area today with the camera at hand but no sign of it.

I'll report any more sightings, hopefully with a picture. We are about 2km from Farlington Marshes.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic