the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Red-eyed Damselfly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Red-eyed Damselfly
    Posted: 24 Jul 2005 at 10:22am

Indulging one of my other interests I thought I would share this shot of Erythromma viridulum, these beasties are fairly scarce in the UK having been first recorded in Essex in July 1999. I was lucking enough to meet the guy who was one of the first to report them and he pointed out how to distinguish them by their slightly more dainty appearance from the more usual Red-eyed Damselfy E.najas.

I'm so pleased that these have used the garden pond, I'll get positive ID , but I'm fairly sure from their appearance in flight that they are E.viridulum and also from the makings on the male's 10th and 8th segments

(PS no amount of red-eye reduction will work for these guys?..groan)

rhysrkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 9:29am

Gemma

I would agree with your ID as the Male clearly shows the extension of the blue colouration (or wedge) from the 'tail end up' (abdominal segment 8) and (you can just make out) from the 'thorax down' (abdominal segment 3) which are not present in the red-eyed dam.  The females also appear 'more blue' than their slightly larger counterparts.

Nice pic! 

Rhys
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 12:38pm

Yep, having been through the books I'm sure now that there is no doubt that they are E.viridium the blue on the sides of segments 2 and 8 are diagnostic

Will have to try to get a shot that shows their tomato red eyes more clearly. Would be interested to hear from anyone else that has recorded these. We are only about 8 miles from one of the known breeding ponds, but they are supposed to be extending their range.

rhysrkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 3:54pm
Their range has been steadily expanding West from Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk and North from the Isle of wight and they can be found in many locations across SE England.

Edited by rhysrkid
Rhys
rhysrkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 4:09pm
Gemma - just found this on the BDS website -

http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/frameset.htm?ervir&specie s&coe
Rhys
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 4:45pm

Thanks for that Rhys, that is really is interesting. I had heard they had extended their range a great deal in Europe, looks like they will become a common sight in much of the UK in years to come.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 4:50pm
Congrats Gemma Looks like your garden's really pulling the wildlife in
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 5:22pm

Its been amazing Al, it seems this year there is something new each day. Here's a piccy of a female Emperor filling the pond with eggs, we had plenty of larvae emerge earlier this year, oh do I wish I had the new camera then! I love these, they really deserve the name, truly spectacular beasties

Edited by GemmaJF
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2005 at 5:38pm

Just another shot of an Emperor 'cause I like them

Edited by GemmaJF
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2005 at 5:42pm

.. and a Blue-tailed Damselfly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic