the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow-worm behaviour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Thurbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow-worm behaviour
    Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 10:19pm

A lady in Portsmouth tells me she has slow-worms in her compost heap. She saw that a large one was holding a smaller one in its mouth, gripping it just behind the head. This lasted for more than a hour, and both survived.
The incident was repeated, and the smaller one was later found dead.

Any ideas on what was going on?

Thanks

Alan
betty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote betty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2003 at 6:51pm
I have never experienced caniballism by slow-worms, despite keeping adults and juveniles in captivity for several years. More likey, the behaviour described is that typical of mating and courthship, when males grasp females around the head and throat. Females and occasionally males (mistaken identity?) often show the tell-tale mating "scars" on the throat throughout May and June. Very rarely, the "matee" can be injured or strangled, which is probably what happened to the smaller individual in this case.
Dr. Renata Platenberg
Reptile ecologist
monobrowmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monobrowmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2003 at 12:23pm
I found a slow worm on the Cornish cliffs a few days ago.  When I got near to it it froze for a few seconds before slowly curling its tail.  Then it did something really cool; it began to crawl backwards (tail first) giving the impression that the tail was the head.  I assume that this is a behaviour to distract predators from the animal's actual head.  Has anyone seen this behaviour before?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic