the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shaking heads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shaking heads
    Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 12:03pm
hi

while watching a couple of males together yesterday i noticed that when they moved close to each other or over each other they would distinctly shake their heads from side to side. i am assuming that you have all seen this many times and was wondering what it meant. i am guessing that its a gesture to indicate they are not threatening each other...yet. 

tim

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 4:02pm
interesting Tim - was this at all like the fast twitching you get when a male is courting a female?  I've not seen (or at least noticed) this behaviour myself.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 4:09pm
I've seen males greet each other like this Tim. One of many observations that one day I might figure out what they mean. Wink
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 5:40pm
not sure will, haven't seen enough of it to say. i remember disturbing a female last spring and as she slithered off a male darted out from nowhere to follow her. there was some head twitching then too and i was reminded of that yesterday. 

tom
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 5:41pm
well if you don't know gemma i doubt anyone does!

tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic