the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seen an interesting news item?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seen an interesting news item?
    Posted: 21 Apr 2005 at 1:35pm

If you see a newspaper article or a link to a web story that would be of interest to those who visit RAUK, we can seek copyright permissions to reproduce them. For newspaper articles we need to know the name of the publication and date the article appeared (the publisher is useful also).

Please do not cut & paste articles or otherwise reproduce articles in this forum unless you have the express permission of the copyright holder to do so.

(Links to articles on other web sites are fine)

Edited by administrator
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 6:39am

I have found a BBC article relating to Agile Frogs in Jersey - I wonder if the agile frog pictured had an off day with all those warts?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/4673745.stm

I am not sure if they have put a correction on this story I did have a chuckle at this

Jon

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 6:42am
That is the standard beeb web site amphibian piccy.. I've seen it loads of times. If you drop them an email they will change it to something more appropriate like a common frog or something.
jpr1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpr1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 4:29am

Check out this link to a news article from a South Wales Newspaper - where it mentions that the presence of Adders in a grass verge was amongst the reasons for cutting the habitat back. Unbelievable!

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_objecti d=17179300%26method=full%26siteid=50082-name_page.html

James Reed

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 8:42am

Interesting link.

"the council has a snake patrol."

I wonder what this means! Relocation at best I guess.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 4:36pm
Does make you wonder exactly what is involved in the council snake patrol doesn't it!
benowz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benowz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2006 at 11:46am

Link to article on supposed snake bite incident in the middle of leicester:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/4795409.st m

Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2006 at 4:56pm
We had one of these incidents a couple of years ago at a Country Park in Derbyshire, where we know there are grass snakes. The dog fought something unseen by its owner in the scrub & long grass and was taken to the vet who pronounced it had been bitten (both on its face and its behind!) by an adder. The dog died within a day and there was a campaign by local residents in the local newspaper for the Council to "do something" about the poisonous snakes in the park. We did nothing about the non-existent poisonous snakes as I suspect the dog died from blood poisoning/toxic shock from being bitten by a much more likely animal in the vicinity such as mink or rat. The local paper tried to resurrect the story last summer but never ran it after coming to the Council for a press statement. This may be due to the fact that I advised the press office on what to say (once I had realised that the press officer thought that vipers and adders were two different types of snake!). Only concern was wondering how many innocent grass snakes were battered to death in the area in the mistaken belief that they were adders after the initial campaign and press articles.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 8:27am
small article on the common frog on page 29 of todays (sat 16 sep) times with a nice pic also.
talks about the increase of redleg this year due to the dry weather.
can i scan it and post it here?
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 12:26pm

Very interesting...... any comments on the story

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2360022.html

JC

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic