the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand Lizards 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand Lizards 2012
    Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 3:25pm
Hurrah, spring like weather has tempted first Sandies of year out with 3 sunning themselves mid afternoon. It was so hot here on sunday suspect they were out then. Interestingly one of them was very female like in build/proportions, though none of them were showing a hint of green yet.

S
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 9:05pm
sandies in Feb - that's just not natural!  good spot Steve.
SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 12:40pm
Hi Will,

They do seem keen to get "out of bed" down here! mind you how natural is blazing sun and temps in the high teens for Feb?!
I'm fortunate enough to be able top look when I'm at work, but this is the third year in a row that a Feb sun fest has produced a Sand lizard record, sometimes before my first common of the year.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 3:49pm
Hi Steve

interesting phenology, three years on the trot.  I wonder if the Lancashire sandies have made an appearance yet? 
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:39pm
Yes the first wild Merseyside sand lizards were spotted last weekend ,males and juveniles.
Paul Hudson
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 4:21pm
thanks Paul; I wonder if it will be another year when we have females egg laying in late April?
SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 1:37pm
Hello Will, Paul,

Hmm that is interesting, maybe it is a Sand Dune thing (more rapid heating of exposed sand reaching the animals in their burrows...??) as we've heard nothing from southern heaths it can't be just latitude.

Since I last posted we've had double figure counts, seen very green males and even a couple of last years babies. Er but still no pics, sorry!
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 5:24pm

Hi Steve,

I imagine you are seeing the lizards early and or late in the day at the moment? I saw 10 adult males last weeekend on the Merseyside dunes plus 2 babies from last years hatch, none of the males I encountered were green yet.

Paul Hudson
SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 1:36pm
Paul,

yes mostly from mid morning, with some sightings into early afternoon. Though those have been times I've been working in or walking past suitable habitat rather than than an actual survey transect. On thursday of last week had first really green male (actually trailing bits of old skin!). After a return to cold weather, we're enjoying another warm bright day, so will be interesting to see if the afternoon produces any activity.
SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:47pm

...and indeed that afternoon did produce some lizards, with basking observed until at least 4pm.

Since last post we've had some pretty changable weather here, which I suspect the La's arnt enjoying much! They seem to be taking advantage of any sun at anytime of day with adults out from 0915 until 1630 (and prob earlier and later on those days)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic