the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Return to Pirbright

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return to Pirbright
    Posted: 22 Jun 2003 at 8:32pm

I recieved a Call from Rob Mc Gibbon on Friday , and he asked If i'd check out these piles for reptiles. (Many thanks for Your call Rob , I apprciate it alot ).

Anyway , I bit off more than I could chew ... Rob did tell me how large these piles were ,but I was still quite shocked when I saw them . What does everyone think ? Are there likely to be any reptiles within these ? And if so ,How is the best way to deal with the situation?

Thanks ,

Alan

Martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2003 at 11:51pm

I've seen this happen near me a few years ago. I got fairly cross as this sort of clear up is part of the job that does so often get left. It should have already been done. But this doesn't help you does it now?! We slowly broke the piles down and the checked bits were then dumped into a big trailer using a hymac machine. Once we had created a checked pile to go I then stood in the trailer and further checked as each bucket load was dropped in. (In breach of every health and safety rule going!) All we found was a single slowworm as we were first checking through. (Typical, though well worth checking. There had been a few viv lizards around earlier that week but they often flee with light disturbance.) As Tony wisely suggested, somewhere for the to flee to nearby is a good idea.

Good luck.

Martin. 

Martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2003 at 11:54pm
PS Whether I'm right or wrong technically what I like to see is 'reasonable effort' on the part of the contractor actually in charge. IF you don't think that you are seeing reasonable effort then stop the job. It is useful to have suggestions thought through though to suggest!
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2003 at 9:34am

Hi Tony , Martin,

Thanks for the thoughts . There is very little cover left nearby , though there is some .

I walked around yesterday and saw no signs of life outside of these piles , but then it wasn't the ideal time of day (7- 8:00 pm) . The weather however was Ideal ... overcast , still and very warm /humid, Usually perfect for adders.

I really do not have any idea how i'm going to deal with this one yet.

Cheers,

Alan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic