the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Response to habitat fragmentation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Response to habitat fragmentation
    Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 12:13am

Hi guys,

Im currently looking to test the role of habitat fragmentation in influencing sub-population size and structure of the adder on some of my sites this soming spring. However, when predicting a species response, I have found that I have come to a bit of a cross roads.

According to population genetic theory, small, fragmented populations are at high risk of extinction due to genetic drift and inbreeding potential. I would expect the carrying capacity of patch habitats to become reduced with increased fragmentation, and therefore inndividuals to disperse and colonise sub-optimal habitats. However, is this a justified prediction given that the species is well known for its high degrees of site fidelity?

HELP!!

Kevin Palmer

Lecturer in Animal Management/Course Manager
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 12:28am
Hi Kevin,

Interesting....
Is the assumption for reduced carrying capacity based on the reduction in available habitat, or some function of reduced fitness?

Some observations spring to mind:
Practically, most fragmentation occurs due to development, which provides habitat barriers, so the option of sub-prime habitat is not available.

I suspect that the key issue with site fidelity is the hibernaculum. Sometimes the same hibernaculum is used by many generations, as it has proved effective as protection from predators and the elements (including flood).

Fragmentation would certainly affect migration , and when denied a suitable migration route, the adders will become more static in nature...enforced by habitat barriers.

Another observation is that even where there are acres of what appears to be prime habitat, adders still show up in foci. There is something about an area which is more attractive to the adder, that I can't fathom. Most foci in Surrey are associated with tree lines (even on heathland). I have little doubt that should these foci be made inaccessible, then the adder could survive in what appears to be nearby prime habitat...but we're back to the question of hibernaculum importance.

There should be some good examples from the consultants on the forum with on-site mitigation...assuming follow up surveillance is conducted.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Vanderklam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 10:16am

Thanks for your input Steve. My study sites feature predominantly on a local AONB, where by the majority of the established sub-populations are within SSSI's. so I am lucky in that there is immediate protection from development. So from what I have observed over the past years, is that it is habitat disturbance,manifested from recreational activity and inappropriate habitat management, that are considered the foremost threats here. I am currently working with the local landowners and managing authorities to provide increased security to some of the more vulnerable habitats (e.g. hibernacula and lying out areas. Certainly there is an issue of potential isolation of sub-populations here, but Im still conducting baseline surveys here to map the distribution of spring assemblages for the area.

What is interesting in particular is a small sub-population that became isolated on a single linear remanant fragment following heath burns being implemented on the site in 2004. I have not observed any female activity on this site for over three years, and so I may have a "bachelor" group of males on my hands here. I suspect that many individuals have dispersed and recolonised new areas as the heath has gradually regenerated over the past five years.

Best

Kevin Palmer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 10:19am

Oops!! Forgot to mention Steve that Im thinking mainly  along the lines of reduced carrying capcity as a function of habitat quality and quantity!

Kevin Palmer

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 5:09pm
Thanks Kevin,

That makes more sense.

I don't know.

Thinking from an evolutionary perspective it seems likely that they would evacuate a poor area.

Also, from personal experience, I have seen Adder populations 'crash' after poor habitat management, or increased pressure, and this change has on occasion been so dramatic that I can't believe it was a long-term effect.

But, does than mean the adders population suffered high and dramatic mortality (unlikely), that they went to ground more and became more difficult to observe, or migrated across suitable habitat to a new prime location? - anybody's guess. It would need mark-recapture analysis.

If you make the assumption that emigration from a poor area occurs, I guess your next steps are to try to establish thresholds for habitat size and quality which would initiate such emigration.

I have no idea where you could get data to support these assumptions, and an experimental approach isn't occurring to me at the moment (that would be palatable).

I'm happy to be a sounding board, if that helps.
Steve Langham - Chairman    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 6:49pm
Thanks Steve. Indeed there are many problems associated with formulating a palatable experimental design. Firstly there is no universal approach to measuring habitat fragmentation. Do I use the amount of edge, the area of interior habitat, distance between suitable fragments etc etc. There are so many boundaries that would require definition. I was thinking along the lines of a comparative study between sub-populations, that is comparing sub-population size and structure using a mark and re-capture database i have against patch size. Im working under the assumption that it sub-population size should be relative to patch size, but there are obviously additional variables to factor in. More thought needed I think.........
Kevin Palmer

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 6:57pm
Just something that springs to mind....

If habitat and sightings were represented in a grid, you could determine habitat suitability by correlation against known locations, then apply this to the habitat set to get a data set of suitable habitat (possibly graded).

You might then choose to use cluster analysis (DBSCAN etc) to determine whether there is significant correlation between clusters of sightings & habitat. Using habitat clustering should show up fragmentation (provided a suitable grid size is chosen).

Of course this still doesn't allow you to determine the actual population present. Not even mark-recapture will give you that, although it may provide a lower confidence limit. But if a model framework exists, assumptions can always be improved later through applied research.
Steve Langham - Chairman    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 8:46pm

Hmmm not a bad idea!! I already have all sightings over the past two years mapped on satellite images using GIS, so it would actually be realatively simple to investigate correlations between sightings and habitat. I could also use the same GPS and satellite images to map heath fragments that are utilised by sub-populations to estimate edge area and interior habitat area. Certainly there is a scope to do this kind of thing. I will keep you updated on developments as it would be useful to have your input Steve.

Best

Kevin Palmer

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 3:45pm

Anecdotal observation, I think adder attempt to carry on 'business as usual' in these situations. I have first hand observations of them attempting to cross entirely barren soil scrapes using what limited habitat remained as cover. My gut feeling is that this leads to higher mortality rates and the population crashes. I don't see any evidence of them 'moving' to suitable habitat elsewhere, simply some individuals become more and more sedentary in what existing habitat remains, the others being lost to predation as they attempt to carry on as normal. I have also observed this with spring dispersal and the males setting up surface dens, they continued to utilise the habitat they had tradionally used that remained, even in cases where it was a tiny fragment of what existed before management. Other 'apparently' suitable habitat nearby being ignored.

Be interesting if your studies support my pessimistic view Kevin.

Edited by GemmaJF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 5:00pm

Aye, my own observations would support what you have seen GF. I have previously tracked a male for over an hour on one occassion, including across totally barren landscapes. Observations by TP confirm the idea that habitat distrubance, particularly within hibernacula and surface den sites may lead to increased mortality rates within males due to their basking habits. This also suggests that adders indeed just carry on with their regular behavioural patterns. So it is a possibility for adders to respond in the same way with regards to dispersal.

Thanks for your input GF

Kevin Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic