the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Respiritory infection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Respiritory infection
    Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 4:42pm

My wife's Veiled chameleon has a respiritory infection . I've dealt with many ailments in snakes in the past ,but never really lizards. Tonight I shall start a course of Baytril , does anyone know the best place to administer the injections? Upper leg ? Base of the tail?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 5:12pm

It's ok , it's sorted now . The vet gave me liquid oral baytril .

Alan

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 8:48pm

Thanks Dave, I shall remember that should i need to administer injections in the future.

I used Baytril frequently when I kept snakes with a very high success rate. However , there is one question i have posed many times but never seemed to have found the answer. My first ever venomous when I became a DWA holder where a pair of WC imported C.atrox. These days I know better , and personally would never keep WC imports . Anyway , both arrived in terrible condition and one soon died . The other one , a female fed on her own despite her condition and started to beef up. When she first arrived she had no problem taking live rats (She refused dead at first). Then she took a down turn and became ill, and I had to give her two courses of baytril to get her to pull through. But from then on , after the baytril her venom would no longer seem to have the ability to kill. This wasn't a case of dry bites , it continued all the time I had her. I would even remove rodents that had been bitten  only to find them absolutely fine the next day (aside from the bite wounds) .

Alan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic