the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reptiles in pwlheli

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reptiles in pwlheli
    Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 1:32pm
thought i would start this now,im off to pwlheli end of the month,reptile wonderland so really loking forward to going not that ill see anything.ill post any pics if i see anything and if not ill setill have pics of the habitat.
http://ukreptiles.proboards55.com
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 1:43pm
Phil if the reptiles are there and you follow advice given on this forum you should see something. Remember to look well ahead and put your feet down quietly. Good luck.
Suz
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 1:52pm
yes i know but remember i was told that for the dunes and never saw nothing.
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 2:00pm

James,

by the end of the month, the reptile would have been out for a good while and with luck it will be warm. try to get up before the crowd and set out to look at about 8 O clock in the morning. Look for nooks and crannies where the sun finds early but which are a little secluded from view. you know, like those small rabbit tunnels you sometimes get at the base of blackberry bushes. I've seen many an Adder thinking that they were hidden from view just inside those.

just because you dont see anything dont rush off. find asuitable place that "looks good" and just sit and listen. it might take half an hour - so what- thats what you've gone for eh! Listening is just another way of seeing, better in fact, as it allows you to see through bushes not just on the outside.

Good luck.

RobV

RobV
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 2:03pm
yes ,well its not why were going as we booked to go back when we went  last times but i said while were there we will look,sadly i wud love to sit there all day but my parents prob wont as were only there a few days,we might go back in october but i said thats no good as there in hibernation then.
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2007 at 2:14pm
Barbary Macaque
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2007 at 2:22pm

I think you've had lots of tips so it's up to you. Put your feet down quietly, look well ahead and look carefully as adders are well camougflaged. Once you've seen a few you will be better at spotting them. They are often on the edge of paths right next to the heather so look there.

Good luck!

Suz
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2007 at 2:32pm

Phil, a little story from last week, I was with a contractor onsite and could see a common lizard. He couldn't see it for looking even though it was out in the open. He asked, "how do you see them" when I finally pointed it out to him, my answer.... because I believe I will.

Phil you must believe also, you won't be quiet enough at first, nobody is, you will scare them off, but watch and listen all the time. If you do scare something off and see a tail disappearing in the vegetation, come back really quietly a few minutes later, they are often not far away basking again.

Good luck and remember we have all been like you also, wanting to see things, but not quite there yet.

james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2007 at 3:04pm
yes ok thanks,
p.s wil all times be ok throughout the day.
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2007 at 4:46pm

Interesting what you say about belief, Gemma.

I was talking about this at the Narrs training in Surrey.  I'm not superstitious, but I do have a 'theory of luck' where spotting herps is concerned.  It seems that as soon as you spot a reptile your chances of seeing another one shoot up about 100% right then in an almost spooky way.  Similarly, if you haven't seen a reptile for years and then suddenly 'break your duck' you then seem to go on spotting them all over the place.

It can seem a little weird, but I expect confidence, 'getting your eye in', knowing where to look and how to look make a big difference and, as Gemma says, believing that you will actually see something.

It's like that famous Theologian, George Michael, once said:  you gottta have faith!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic