the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reptile translocation - UPDATE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reptile translocation - UPDATE
    Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 7:33pm

A long distance translocation of reptiles (grass snake, lizards, slowworms and adders) over 175 miles was started this year. The translocation was from South Essex to Wiltshire.

October Press Release - http://portal.pohub.com/pls/pogprtl/docs/PAGE/LONDON_GATEWAY /MEDIA%20SECTION/LG_PRESS_RELEASE_STORE/NEW%20PORT%20DEVELOP MENT%20CREATES%2050%2C000%20NEW%20HOMES%20FOR%20ANIMALS.PDF

You can see the PR video here - http://portal.pohub.com/portal/page?_pageid=1063,323992& _dad=pogprtl&_schema=POGPRTL

The EARG have been trying to find out more and have been told by Natural England & Wiltshire Wildlife Trust to write to DP world

Graeme Clarke
DP World
London Gateway
The Manor Way
Stanford-le-Hope
Essex
SS17 9PD
E-mail Graeme.clarke@dpworld.com

If anyone gets any response please let us know

Youtube has provided further information on this project

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=usiWUVUqcZM

50,000 animals in 3 months that is an amazing feat wouldnt you agree?

The EARG still havent heard anything from DP World. Natural England Local Team (01206 796666) have suggested that EARG contact the consultants working on the project. Natural England would have information on this project yet it isnt publicly available when of course it is

The EARG will be contacting Thomson Ecology regarding this project......

Jon 

Edited by herpetologic2
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 1:54am

They called the GCN a protected reptile in the video

I have sent an email

tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 7:26am

"London Gateway will be the most fully automated and efficient port in the world and will become a national hub for transport and logistics in the UK."

well i'm sure the animals must feel really reassured by that!

astonishing that something like this could happen without any local experts knowing about it. 

fingers crossed it works out ok, but from what you guys have said about long distance translocations in the past... 

tim

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 2:32pm
Wiltshire Wildlife Trust should know better than to accept animals from so far away; it goes against modern ideas of translocation best practice; also, how could they be certain that their 230Ha receptor site didn't already have any reptiles in the first place or that it wouldn't have been colonised by Wiltshire animals from nearby populations ?  It's the usual quick-fix 'we shift 'em, you build' solution but on a much much larger scale and with much more thrown at PR; the constant references to GCN as reptiles and 'hibernaculas' betray a lack of knowledge.  I would also like to know what commitment post-release there is to the management of the GCN and reptile sites for the continued benefit of these animals.

Shame that EARG and also LEHART were not consulted by such 'enlightened' consultants..

Will
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 1:15am
I think the motto better to shift then let them be built on is great, but there must be more deserving  local Essex sites that these animals could be settled in with advice  from people like Gemma to advise them I am sure Wilts has plenty of animals  Again the pathetic health and safety helmet / glasses predominate as the standard reptile catching uniforms were on display again mind you an adder could get you on the snitch so why not face guards!, and we no someone who wished he  had gauntlets on last year hows it going Al  lol keith

Edited by AGILIS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 5:02pm
hI Tony I dont think you can put the odd liz and sloworm in comparison with an elephant culling , I would rather give them a chance in a hedgrow than splat them out, aint that what its all about . keith
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 11:37am

In my view there is no need whatever for either long distance translocation or culling - a project as large as this must have been gestating for several years, at least a decade - plenty of time for longterm habitat management, improvement and creation to have been done onsite or closeby - a few large arable fields converted to rough grass, scrub and ponds would have gone a long way to making this a better project and would have reduced the continuing impoverishment of Essex's herpetofauna...

Cheers

Will

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 1:56am
culling  of displaced herps then whats the point of rescueing  them from the developers if thats the case! . They can never be put into the same catagory as large animals ie elephants deer that munch and trample into woodland farms alike , ever heard of snakes a lizards devasting large swayths of English countryside leaving it devoid  its insect life/rodents etc what a load of  absolute rubbish!! as there is always a nitch somewhere to put them , But I do  agree there is no need for long haul translocation  , unless a request for some animals to boost lost  populations, I dont think the repopulating of sand lizards has done any ecological damage to where the have been placed only inhancment and an asset. But is it cool to move sand lizards but uncool for the rest! because some of the  places they have been settled there was no proof of original La colonies that ever existed there!. but I am all for it .Keith

Edited by AGILIS
Dave1812 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave1812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 4:28am
Pardon my ignorance - but is there any guidelines or legislation on the translocation of animals, if so have any been broken, and can the culprits be held to account?   
David Hind

D&G ARG
ARC - Natterjack Toad Monitor
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 6:01am
The legislation protects the animals from killing and injury, but it's weak when it comes to safeguarding their longterm future post-translocation.  Who's going to try to prove that a failed translocation a decade after the animals' release was due to the initial incompetence / lack of care of the developer / consultant ?  There are best practice guidelines issued by HGBI but sadly these are not statutory obligations.  Sometimes the largest projects are the ones subjected to the least scrutiny, especially if 'the public interest' can be cited - 'steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you king' (Bob Dylan) - all we can do is protest (pass me a guitar) !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic