the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reptile Digital photography

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reptile Digital photography
    Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 12:25pm
I live where that red dot is on the french map on my pic under my name.
I'm posting this to ask people what equipement you use. I had up until
recently a NIKON COOLPIX 5000 which was ok, but not super. I now have
a CANON Powershot A95. But these are not really the ideal thing.

I dream of the day to upgrade to a CANON D350 or similar...

What eqipement do you people use, and what would you recomend to get
the results needed (speed, sharpness...).

Also does anyone want to sell their cameras as I would be interested.

Reptiles & Amphibians of France:
www.herpfrance.com

European Field Herping Community:
www.euroherp.com
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 1:37pm

A fair question this.....but probably a question without a definitive answer. I can offer some thoughts from experience.

I would personally recommend an Single Lens Reflex digital camera (you look at the optical image thru the lens, rather than on a screen). I find that I throw away far fewer 'out of focus' images now I've upgraded to an SLR.

I have found that megapixels do matter. Especially when you want to digitally crop or zoom onto a part of an image, then high MPs help. I would suggest 8+, although you can certainly get good results with fewer.

Lens choice is wide open. It depends on what you are shooting (both subject and effect required) and the distance from which you shoot. The general consensus on the forum appears to be a dedicated macro lens, although a mid-range telephoto and the use of close-up 'filter' lenses is a cheaper option.

For in-situ shots, beware heavy body/lens combinations as you may be off-balance and holding your 'shot' position for some time.

In conclusion, I think your goal of a Canon EOS 350 would be an excellent choice. It has very nearly the quality of its big brother (20D) but is much lighter.

Some Canon's do have a very loud shutter, but I've never found this a problem with reptiles (especially snakes ). Go to a camera shop and see how different models 'feel' is my best advice.

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
djp_phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 1:41pm
Thank you, my father has a D10 and D20, he may give me his D10...

For the moment I only have that CANON Powershot A95
www.herpfrance.com

www.euroherp.com
Berus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 3:42pm
Hi Djp,
I personnaly own a Canon 350 D and I find it great - well the viewfinder is rather small and you may encounter a few trouble with the exposure when you're facing the sun. I use it on reptiles with the 100 mm Canon macro lens and sometimes a 380 EX flash device.
If you were to use your father d 10, I'm sure that any macro lens, even from a third party (Sigma, Tamron) would also deliver great results.
When the subject is moving and when the light is poor, you cannot beat a dslr.
But it's also the most expensive and heavy (even a 350 d) solution. And with a dslr, depth of field matters again : the head of the snake may be razor sharp in focus, and the entire body blured ; naturalists who are not in photograhy (yes, they are some) could find it strange.
The last big difference with compact cameras is that you  cannot use the screen before you take the picture, which would be easier (and safer...) for macro shots.
Eventually, and whatever be your choice, I would advice you to make a little trip to Andorra...
All that's goldfinch does not glitter
Not all those who migrate are lost
djp_phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 3:46pm
Why Andorra, are the cameras cheaper? or did you mean to go skiing?
www.herpfrance.com

www.euroherp.com
Berus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 4:02pm
Both of course !
But yes, prices are said to be really lower there than in France (there's a limit to what you can take back with you without paying tariffs).
All that's goldfinch does not glitter
Not all those who migrate are lost
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 5:28pm

yes i agree with vicer just have a look at his pics there awesome and you cant go wrong with his advice

paul

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 5:31pm

PAUL !

How you doing mate ?  Out of hibernation already ?

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2006 at 5:49pm

im ok now hope you have been keeping well m8

fancy a trip out this year 

paul

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 5:08am
The camera itself is only a small percentage in the creation of a good picture. Although expensive cameras can make the job easier with more flexability and the ability to use different lenses it's really down to the person behind the camera. I've seen many poor quality photos from top notch gear and some fantastic photos taken on cheap compacts.
O-> O+>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic