the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Relocating.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zider67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relocating.
    Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:20am
Hi I'm after some advice.  The field opposite my house has a healthy population of slow worms & common lizards but unfortunately the person who keeps horses in there lease runs out next month & apparently the site is going to be developed for housing. 
I would like to save as much of the population as possible but need to know how viable this is, especially as it's the hibernation season. 
My idea would be to release just a few of each species in each location, so as to add new blood lines to, but not to overpopulate, the existing populations.

If the plan does have ring of plausibility to it does anyone have any tips on methods of collecting both species.
Many thanks
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 3:37pm
Hi, welcome and thanks for the post. As all native reptiles are protected from killing and injury even during the course of an otherwise lawful development in receipt of planning permission the site can not be reasonably developed in the winter; the only way to capture reptiles which are hibernating is through something called a 'destructive search' which is every bit as bad as it sounds and is only ever used once as many animals as possible have been captured by the standard methods used when the animals are active. You therefore need to contact your wildlife trust, your local amphibian and reptile group and the local planning authority to flag up the presence of the protected species. It's always worth coping in Natural England to give some extra clout to your letter. If you know the developer you can address the letter to them as well. This should mean that a proper survey and mitigation are undertaken in spring and into summer if necessary, to be done by a qualified ecologist preferably with specific experience in the field of reptile mitigation. The animals should be released in suitable sites which don't have reptiles in already, to avoid overpopulation of the habitat (and also because there would be a net loss in terms of the local status of the species). Ideally the receptor site would be a protected area with guaranteed future sympathetic management, but that's for the ecological consultant to worry about...

hope that helps, let us know what happens!

Cheers

Will
zider67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zider67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 12:24pm
Many thanks Will. Unfortunately I don't know the developers but will get on to contacting the other people on the list. 
Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 12:28pm
Hi,

Whereabouts in Bristol is this?

If you pm the details I''ll let my mate oops I mean the chairman of the Avon Reptile and Amphibian Group (ARAG) know the details...Wink

Cheers

Paul (from North Bristol)
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 11:14am
Zider,

If there is to be development on the site such as housing, then inevitably it will require planning permission, so your first contact should be with the Local Planning Authority, i.e. your local Council. Usually they have all planning applications and consents on their website, but if not, just 'phone them up and ask for Development Control to find out the planning status of the land.

I'm not sure if your LPA has a County Ecologist - not all do, and this situation is increasing - but if they do they may not be aware that the site has potential for reptiles, or that it may be developed.

Ideally then they would act upon your information and liaise with the applicant, ensure reptile surveys are done, ensure the presence of reptiles is given material consideration during the planning decision, and ultimately, ensure mitigation (in the wider sense) takes place.

This process may have already begun of course, but as above, it is very unlikely that any site clearance will take place in winter.

If any harm were to come to reptiles during a development, then that is a matter between the contractors and the law, but the LPA also has a duty under the NERC Act to have regard to the purpose of conserving biodiversity. So, if you do see clearance with JCBs etc taking place, and you are aware that the site hasn't been cleared of reptiles (lots of squares of roofing felt, reptile fencing, should be obvious) then there may be an offence under the Wildife and COuntryside Act, so contact the police, and your LPA may have failed in its NERC duty, so contact DEFRA/NE.

If the site is intact come next March/April, and you can get on it, have a look around and see what you can see in the way of herps, then submit your records to your local reords centre, ARG group etc.

Local Authority Ecologist
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic