the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Relocating Breeding Slow Worms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relocating Breeding Slow Worms
    Posted: 09 May 2013 at 4:17pm
We've had slow worms living in an overgrown area at the bottom of the garden for some years. Last autumn, under a pile of garden sacks full of grass cuttings just outside our back door, I came across a couple of the animals. I thought it best to leave them alone to over-winter and intended to move them in the spring. However, at the weekend, I found three youngish slow worms on the patio near the nest. All three had recently lost their tails, two had damage (looking like slow worm bite marks) to the head and one had blood on its face. Over the next day or so, the latter one (Alpha slow worm?) stayed near the nest and the other two stayed in the open just round the corner. None seemed worried about predators. They now appear to have gone to ground.

Now, while this is a fascinating introduction to slow worm breeding behaviour, I'm wondering when I can move them back to the safer area at the end of the garden? And is it just a matter of carefully opening the nest and carrying each one I find?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by PaulS - 09 May 2013 at 4:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic