the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAUK's a Herp a day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 195>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 9:34pm
Thumbs Up i think that must be the s wales adder i was hoping to see a pic of.

great stuff mark!

tom

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 8:59pm
No offerings for day 3 yet?

Had to drive to London and back this evening, so I couldn't get out until late. It's getting a bit windy and cool here so no sightings of newts this evening. I'm going to cheat a bit and put out an onduline felt in the waterlogged grass which can be a be a good way to find newts, if we get enough sun to warm it up a bit. 
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:30pm
Took this this afternoon in caseā€¦

tom
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 1:03pm
phew, Tim - close call!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 2:22pm
Well done Tim Thumbs Up
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 6:12pm
I went out and looked under a Coroline sheet on grass, but nothing. There had been a newt under one in November but I don't look very often this time of year. I must now I guess!
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 6:51pm
The sheet I've put out is kind of in the pond. No sun today so it didn't attract anything, but on some days I've seen literally dozens of newts under these, especially with pond margins that are mostly waterlogged grass.

I was after a picture of a male Smooth Newt tonight, though I spotted one I didn't get the picture, it was only about 6 inches away from me but it twigged I was there and dived to the depths! I did though spot this female (same one as other day?), I'm beginning to think she is already egg laying as she's been seen quite reliably, I'll check to see if there are signs of folded over leaves in the daylight.

04/01/2014 18:30 Essex

If anyone is wondering, these pictures are being taken in the dark, simply a torch in one hand and digital camera in the other. All I can see is the circle of the torch on the water in the viewfinder, so I point the torch at the animal, then auto focus on the ring of light through the viewfinder and then click away.
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 8:17pm
well done gemma Clap. in summer i've noticed the newts in my pond like to use lily pads like refugia. turn one over on a sunny day and i'm guaranteed to see at least one and usually several. looking forward to the first male of the year. i turned over loads of refugia in my garden this pm - bricks pavers logs etc but nothing. haven't seen an adult in the pond yet either although i'm in the midlands which is usually a bit behind. 

tom
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 7:08pm
Hello everyone

Still got quite a few frog tadpoles. Plus a few adults and some newts about tonight.

sorry its a bit out of focus! they quickly ducked after this shot, so i didnt get another opportunity, but here you go Gemma:

Common Frog, Glos 1900hrs 05/01/14

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 7:17pm
 Clap I wish you had posted them a few minutes earlier, would have saved me the trip up the garden lol.

I did manage a picture of the male Smooth Newt I've been after though:

05/01/2014 18:43 Essex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 195>
  Share Topic