the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PROTECTED SPECIES IS A EFFING JOKE!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PROTECTED SPECIES IS A EFFING JOKE!!
    Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 8:00am
I must like getting my self depressed had a look at Hankley common areas today (Wednesday) in the most ideal conditions as the weather goes that you can get when herping warm sunny and overcast, to be greeted by the sounds of a vehicle being used in the destruction of the heather( ps no pic of driver as he was having a piss in the bushes) and habitat of once prolific dense colonies of sand lizards that have been wiped out existance with all the other species in the name of golf and no one from nat England has said a thing to halt this destruction (Ps I did report this matter to them some years ago of course nothing was done and I got no reply from them.) .So whats the point of the protected species act???.To be honest after 50 years since as a young teenager coming to this place its heart breaking to see a bit more heath eroded on every visit, also least a hundred golfers are daily tramping around on what was once a peaceful bit of English heathland that was used only by the army training troops.All I can say is the heath seems to has lost its vibrancy from a once rustle and bustle of lizards scampering away and the odd hiss of a adder seem now to be a thing of the past never to return.Ps I did see three common lizzos after a exstensive searching.Also this is one of Surreys last places for LA & CA and the county should be ashamed of its self in letting this happen well no money to be earnt from sand lizards unless they can fine idividuals disturbing them lol.
Also the MOD has the cheek to have notices saying its a offence to disturb the fauna or remove any wild vegetation etc so if you took a sprig of heather away that the golf club is destroying by the truck load you will be prosecuted .ha bloody ha.

ps pics of another link in the making and another one of many that has recently appeared right on top of reptile + ground bird habitat + one of the vehicles responsible.and its happening everyday soon there will be nothing left.. no wonder TP left.   Ps I do know that the golf club has been there for many a year but its getting to big and encroaching and destroying the heath just to satisfy its ever increasing membership KEITH

ONE OF THE MANY MOD NOTICES IN THE AREA

Edited by AGILIS - 22 Jun 2012 at 11:37pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
JamesM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 9:33am
It's a f*cking joke! That's all I've got to say on the matter.
Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 12:07pm
Disgusting!

I know similar issues have been dicussed at great length on here and I know it sounds stupid but why not phone the police!?

Ideally if you could get a symathetic journalist or someone to "accompany you to the station" a) they might be more inclined to actually do something or b) the journalist gets a story (publicity!)...

PaulAngry
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 12:42pm
Paul that would also fall on deaf ears as the most big golf clubs have a tame chief con or MP on the committee, this is all being allowed by the MOD who have a dont do anything policy on the heaths unless it suits there their pockets golf brings in revenue not much to be earnt out of natural land that they stole years ago.
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:32pm
I asked this on another thread, but didn't get a reply.  Maybe it's a stupid question.

What does Amphibian and Reptile Conservation (ARC) do?

http://www.arc-trust.org/

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by tim-f tim-f wrote:

I asked this on another thread, but didn't get a reply.  Maybe it's a stupid question.

What does Amphibian and Reptile Conservation (ARC) do?

http://www.arc-trust.org/

A more pertinent question Tim, is who are they?

Who are the faceless people behind quangos masquerading as trust bodies and who it seems do nothing to further the conservation of herps?

Its like that chief copper who appeared yesterday in front of the London assembly. It came across that he had no info to give, no understanding of what it was his job entailed and why the public feel pissed off. These people are paid big bucks but why are they not sacked when they don't deliver??

I for one don't know.

R

RobV
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:51pm
If one was to be a little cynical Tim (not like me at all really) one could say along with the other herp organisations, such as Froglife and ARG UK not a lot other than play political games and strive for power in a tiny little world.

Not that I'm really that cynical (well I probably am).

The net result is that they keep everyone else out of the system, either because those people assume that because such organisations exist they must actually do something useful, or because the organisations actively prevent new people getting 'in'.

Of course we have members of these groups on the forum so I expect some backlash, but I've seen it all really in the past few years. 

To be fair ARC do manage their own sites very well and are active in a number of very important conservation areas. 

What we need though is an organisation with the will to address these very serious and widespread issues, particularly the fact NE routinely turn a blind eye to offences committed under the WCA involving UK protected herp species. (and this if very much politically or funding driven - so don't except excuses such as they are under staffed - they know as an organisation exactly what is going on)

Trouble is the existing herp organisations have their own political agendas to follow, so I can't imagine we will see much action from them. Far too much 'rocking the boat' and none of these organisations like that.

Edited by GemmaJF - 22 Jun 2012 at 5:06pm
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 7:42pm

Thing is it should not be for herp or other flora and fauna societies to get the authorities to do something but the people who wrote the mandates and regulations that makes things such as destruction of habitat of protected species illegal so they should be bought to account for not doing anything, seeing it was them in the first place who made the rules,I assume it was English nature or natural England who ever they are and who ever pays them? we can only report these things to them and hope for some sort of action that never comes . Keith

Well to cheer me up even more we have just had some local farmer cause the worst pollution in years on one of our local river systems with a chemical spill that has devastated many miles of the River Colne in Essex killing thousands of fish cant give a full account as I believe eastern europeans have netted most of them .

Edited by AGILIS - 22 Jun 2012 at 8:00pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 8:41pm
I don't actually agree Kieth, lets face it these organisations attract public money by saying that they are there to protect native herpetofauna. Lets see them do it.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 9:56pm
Sorry Gemma I was only making a cynical point yes we should complain but to who? if the so called nat England dont take a stance who do we complain to our ineffective coppers who cant even make a decision with out quoting the health and safety go ahead pc directives or our public funded squandering local MPs who are living in one of their Mayfair flats on a rent rebate who wont be available as they will be dining out on expenses.

Edited by AGILIS - 22 Jun 2012 at 9:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic