Forum Description: Forum for all issues concerning Vipera berus
URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4246
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: short-toed eagle UK
Posted By: chinadavid
Subject: short-toed eagle UK
Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 5:13pm
its recently been suggested that global warming may bring short-toed eagle to UK specifically in Kent - I wonder if members believe there are enough snakes to support a small population of these birds in the UK?

Replies:
Posted By: will
Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:26pm
Personally I hope not... might be the last nail in the coffin for some already fragmented adder populations there.  We could perhaps rely on Richard Benyon suggesting destroying any resulting nests though... (great to see another classic Tory U-Turn on buzzards today; we peasants 1, pheasants 0!)

Posted By: GemmaJF
Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by will will wrote:

Personally I hope not... might be the last nail in the coffin for some already fragmented adder populations there.  We could perhaps rely on Richard Benyon suggesting destroying any resulting nests though... (great to see another classic Tory U-Turn on buzzards today; we peasants 1, pheasants 0!)

That would be my fear also, that small fragmented populations may be predated to extinction. In answer to are there enough snakes, yes I think so, there are still large tracks of land they hold good numbers, and it is likely there is enough to sustain short-toed eagles in the long-term. 

I think when we worry about a predator entering an eco-system it is a sign that the other man-made pressures are now just too much for many populations. I'm sure short-toed eagles will have a field day during an NE sanctioned site clearance in the the name of 'conservation'.

PS Will, we peasants 1, pheasants 0 - got a good laugh from me LOL

Posted By: AGILIS
Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:37pm
Some of us have fire arms licences so we can shoot them seeing there not native species like the can toads in Aus

-------------
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:38pm
I don't know how you could kill something as beautiful as an Eagle to be honest Keith. If they colonise due to warmer climate are they actually non-native? It isn't like someone is planning to introduce them is it?

Posted By: kevinb
Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:55pm
Beauty is in the telescopic sight of the beholder lol

Posted By: tim-f
Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:37pm
Voles get eaten by Adders, and Adders potentially get eaten by Short-Toed Eagles.

I suspect that if Short-Toed Eagles do ever colonize the UK it will be in very very small numbers.  I would have thought that the impact on the UK's snake poulation would be negligible compared with that of man.

I think the killing of any wild bird (with certain exceptions) is illegal under the Wildlife and Countryside Act.  Short-Toed Eagles would surely also come under Schedule 1 and receive additional protection.

Posted By: sussexecology
Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

Some of us have fire arms licences so we can shoot them seeing there not native species like the can toads in Aus

Seriously...................if you want to shoot something.......go and shoot some mink

I am sure that NE would approve of that, Smile

But I don't agree with your comment about shooting short-toed eagles.

Yes - short toeds are protected under Schedule 1

Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 11:43pm
Na if you want to shoot something, go shoot some people... (You know Keith where I would like you to start LOL)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk