Print Page | Close Window

BACK TO WINTER

Printed From: Reptiles and Amphibians of the UK
Category: Conservation
Forum Name: Habitat Loss
Forum Description: Use this forum to highlight harmful development projects and other issues involving habitat destruction
URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4152
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 4:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: BACK TO WINTER
Posted By: AGILIS
Subject: BACK TO WINTER
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:09am
Well after over a week of some warm weather and every creature from birds to herps out enjoying the sun and mating are now all huddled up in some refuge if lucky enough to make it as we have speedily drifted back to winter weather. Well what affect is this going to have on them after having to go into hibernation is the weather putting their survival at risk??

-------------
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Replies:
Posted By: GemmaJF
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 3:32pm
Wasn't much like winter here today Keith, bit of a frost last night by the lizards were all out sunning themselves this morning without problems. Supposed to be plenty of rain on the way though.

Posted By: Chris Monk
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 5:46pm
Southern softies don't know what winter is really like, we had a 12 hour blizzard on Wednesday morning and loads of snow on the high ground.
Despite yesterday's sun went out today and found almost all of our adder sites are under large drifts of snow, in fact due to the direction of the wind most of the snow was piled up on the south facing banks and slopes used for basking. Also the bright sunrise had turned into a cold, dull, cloudy morning with drizzle in the wind.
Didn't manage to find any adders on snow, but a couple of brave males were out in the dull freezing weather where thinner snow had melted. They were also very aware and just managed a couple of snaps with my compact digital camera before they disappeared. So snow near adders not adders on snow.

There was even a complete fresh slough on the tussock just out of the photo below where the adder is actually slipping down the side of the tussock and disappeared under the snow.

-------------
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 6:11pm
" NICE PICS CHRIS" I have seen lizards basking. next to snow in the past.
Gemma the weather here was nice and bright this morn after the heavy frost melted. did not go out looking but I am sure a few were about. keith

-------------

Posted By: flywaver
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:59pm
I popped over to Santon Downham this morning. Hoping to photo a Grassie but after an almost fruitless hour on a circuit i saw couple of Common Lizards and an Adder.The main Adder area just had shedded skins although i thought they would be out basking..

The Little Ouse is always crystal clear..

But as the hosepipe ban as started its above the path in places...

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:06pm
Beaut bit of river I used to fish there its one of the few East Anglian rivers that have Grayling in its mid upper reaches bit like a souther chalk stream keith

-------------

Posted By: flywaver
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:15pm
I've seen Grass snakes along it also Adder on the river path. Always thought if Dippers were in east anglia then this area would be great. Always some Twitchers along there looking for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Santon Downham is just great for what variety it has. I just read a bit about Lynx reintroduction in BBC wildlife and Thetford Forest is mentioned as an ideal place for them. :-D

Posted By: Robert V
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 2:01am
Beautiful looking place

-------------
RobV

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk