Print Page | Close Window

Advice appreciated

Printed From: Reptiles and Amphibians of the UK
Category: Conservation
Forum Name: Habitat Loss
Forum Description: Use this forum to highlight harmful development projects and other issues involving habitat destruction
URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4141
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 8:45pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Advice appreciated
Posted By: Madfossa
Subject: Advice appreciated
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 12:55am
Can i pose a potential reptile problem i have come across?

As I have said recently, I found a good population of Zootoca vivipara and some Natrix natrix in EF, the habitat has been and still is being opened up, silver birch being felled and plenty of beech/hornbeam have been blown over. As it is, its the "perfect habitat", although to the general public it may look a bit "messy".
I have noticed that even over the last few days alot of the log piles and brush have been moved about and any stacked  brush has been moved to bigger piles as though in preparation for clearance, which would decimate any of the reptile population. 

I have photos if you would like to see them.

I have been in touch with the head of  EF volunteer group. He has kindly given me the mobile number of the guiding organisation's Ecologist, who is apparently pleased to hear about the reptile population in the area and would like to hear from me to discuss the ongoing works....so basically i need advice as to what to say to the Ecologist.!!
I have no problem talking to the Ecologist I just want to say the right thingWink any help/advice appreciated.
thanks 
Ian

Replies:
Posted By: GemmaJF
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:04am
I would stress the importance of three dimensional habitats to reptiles and warn against 'over tidying'.

Generally I would advise the construction of log piles/brash piles in the area using the available material.

Good luck with being listened too, I would be concerned that they are putting it into larger piles so it can be burnt, what a waste and extremely damaging thing to do in reptile habitat at this time of year.

Posted By: Suzi
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:46pm
I was out on one of our local heaths last week and saw the ash pile from what must have been a big bonfire. Right in the midst of gorse/open heath/heather. I was shocked that they would have even considered doing that at this time of year. 

-------------
Suz

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:16pm
Thanks Gemma, i was out there today and the c lizards were all over the brush. I am ringing the ecologist tomorrow will let you know how i get on.

I am hoping they wont burn it as the whole area is tinder dry and of course it is such a waste of good habitat feature.

Posted By: AGILIS
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 6:22am
Well what about the management who pile up these heaps leave over winter   that any creature from hedghogs herps and the like use as refuge,then the first dry spell incinerate the lot! keith

-------------
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:52am
Exactly what they have been doing at Backwarden for years, 10 feet away from the main adder hibernaculum. I was there a few years back when the whole middle heath went up in smoke. Their response 'well we intended to clear it anyway' Thumbs Down

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:15pm
[IMG]"

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:16pm
I call them by name what Suffolk councils advert on people who dump rubbish says "DONT BE A t**ser" spelt with A capitol UU=W----rs

-------------

Posted By: Suzi
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 3:42pm
Meant to say that it was a section of Heath I don't go to often as it is too doggy so I hope the pile of stuff hadn't been sat there all winter and then set fire to as Keith comments. Again rather surprised they'd have a fire anyway as everything is tinder dry.

-------------
Suz

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 1:20pm
Well good news is, via SH of CLARE, its going to be left as it is, good reptile habitat.
2nd bit of good news: Ecologist wants to meet and is interested to get more surveying done in area, especially reptiles Smile
We actually visited this site as part of NARRS training and the c lizards didnt let us down, it was brilliant

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 1:46pm
Glad to hear a positive result Ian. If you need any artificial refuges to help with surveying just let me know.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 1:57pm
Yeah it was really good news, i was surprised and tend to prepare for the worst possible outcome Smile

Many thanks Gemma i appreciate that, once ive met the ecologist i'll let you know. Do you use Onduline?

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 2:34pm
Yep I use Onduline and have plenty available for surveys within Essex.

Posted By: Robert V
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:20pm
Ian hi,

is it Imogen you are meeting with, or Jeremy Dagley?

I would ask you not to put tins down in that area, but you are entitled to do what you wish as it is a public space. But you may find that you don't find if you get my meaning. You'll just be making handy looky holes for "collectors".

Still, its good that someone has agreed to meet you.

Robert

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 7:10pm
I pm'd you on that one, but can remove the 3 put down by C L A R E, now if you'd like.

I dont mind running the gauntlet of strange people who seem to meet there after 5:30pm...very unnervingWacko
Excellent Gemma, thanks Wink

Posted By: Fless1
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 7:31am
Hi Gemma

I hope you don't mind me asking but. I am keen to see my first wild adder but after hours of patiently searching backwarden, I have found none :(

If you could advise locations of hibernaculum at Danbury common and/or backwarden I'd have slightly better chances

Of course I'll report any sightings and keep a respectful distance

Regards

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk