URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4072
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 8:49am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2012 season off with a bang!
Posted By: ErikPaterson
Subject: 2012 season off with a bang!
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 4:39pm
Hello folks,
Had a wee wander at one of my local spots today thinking there wouldn't be aught about when I heard that beautiful noise, Frogs croaking.
Boy am I glad I went!  I counted at least 60 heads of adults in one 2 meter by 2 meter marshy pool.
Crazy stuff.
Anyways, to the good part - I did snap a few shots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikpaterson/6792235080/">
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikpaterson/6792231700/">
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikpaterson/6938347507/">
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikpaterson/6938345521/">

Sixty is the highest number I've ever recorded in one spot before, I have the distinct feeling that the rest of the local sites will fail to top that!

Erik

Replies:
Posted By: Iowarth
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:42pm

Hi Erik

Welcome to the forum - and thanks for sharing the superb pics and excellent results

Chris

-------------
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

Hi Erik

Welcome to the forum - and thanks for sharing the superb pics and excellent results

Chris

Hi Chris,
Sorry it never even occurred to me to introduce myself properly!  Ah well.
Cheers - this spot is good though more rural so the Frogs rarely see people, aiming at heading to a very much more urban breeding site where I should, hypothetically get a few better shots from 'tamer' Frogs, I hope!
Cheers,
Erik

Posted By: tim hamlett
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:02pm
Clap

lovely pics too...what camera/lens to you use?

tim

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by tim hamlett tim hamlett wrote:

Clap

lovely pics too...what camera/lens to you use?

tim

Cheers Tim,
These were all on a Canon EOS 1000D with the Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lens - most at the 300mm zoom!  I think I was using 1/320 with ISO 400 and F8.0 for these.
Erik

Posted By: GemmaJF
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:22pm
Excellent Erik, didn't see a thing today in the gloom here in Essex so nice to see a big healthy frog population and really great pictures Thumbs Up 

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Excellent Erik, didn't see a thing today in the gloom here in Essex so nice to see a big healthy frog population and really great pictures Thumbs Up 

Thanks Gemma!  I'm interested to hear - is 'Frogging' season drawing to a close down that far south?
Erik

Posted By: Suzy
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 10:41pm
Not at all, still waiting here in south-east Devon! My neighbour had 4 clumps of spawn appear in her pond last night and I'm still waiting.
Lovely pix and I know it's wrong to even think it but that frog seems to have a lovely expression.

-------------
Suz

Posted By: GemmaJF
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 11:05pm
Unfortunately Erik in my bit of the world I don't see many frogs at all, so we don't have much of a Frogging Season. Was at a site today where there should be some frogs and not a sign of life. Still time though as Suz says because I don't think we've even really got started down here this year. Some of the few frog ponds I know locally are dried up completely, talk of a major drought here this year.

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Not at all, still waiting here in south-east Devon! My neighbour had 4 clumps of spawn appear in her pond last night and I'm still waiting. 
Lovely pix and I know it's wrong to even think it but that frog seems to have a lovely expression.

That's strange really, but then I've just remembered you guys had a cold snap where we remained comparably mild - it all kicked off really quickly, a week ago - there was not a single Frog to be seen, means I need to get my act together with regards to recording etc - thought I had another week at least!

Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Unfortunately Erik in my bit of the world I don't see many frogs at all, so we don't have much of a Frogging Season. Was at a site today where there should be some frogs and not a sign of life. Still time though as Suz says because I don't think we've even really got started down here this year. Some of the few frog ponds I know locally are dried up completely, talk of a major drought here this year.

That's a shame!  Frogs and Toads is about all I find in my neck of the woods - wouldn't mind a few more Newts & lizards or Adders, of course.
Plenty of time yet I guess!

Erik

Posted By: Iowarth
Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:27am

Going back to your original post Eric, I know what you mean by that "wonderful sound". We first heard it this year while laying abed about 10 days ago - and every night since. Sent both of us to sleep with a happy smile on our faces. One of the advantages of a big garden pond ony about 15 metres from our bedroom!

It always is a wonderful sound - not least as for us, it is the first harbinger of Spring!

Incidentally, we are right on the south coast and just one spawn clump so far.

Chris

-------------
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

Going back to your original post Eric, I know what you mean by that "wonderful sound". We first heard it this year while laying abed about 10 days ago - and every night since. Sent both of us to sleep with a happy smile on our faces. One of the advantages of a big garden pond ony about 15 metres from our bedroom!

It always is a wonderful sound - not least as for us, it is the first harbinger of Spring!

Incidentally, we are right on the south coast and just one spawn clump so far.

Chris

Aye Chris, Sadly I don't have a garden - just a second floor balcony complete with glass tank filled with water, midge larvae and 2 species of pond Snails that showed up unannounced.
Though whenever I'm out for a walk at this time of the year, I keep an ear open - always have my Wee pen, pad & GPS device quick to hand for a record or two haha!
Only the one clump? How strange!
Erik

Posted By: Caleb
Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:11am
I've seen spawn up here in Gateshead, and quite a few other north-easterners have had spawn too.

I'm sure I post this every year... but 'Nature's Calendar' (from CEH/The Woodland Trust) have an interactive map of all the spawn sightings they've had reported so far this year:
http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/map/current.htm?rsid=172&reid=12&ry=2012&rs=S - http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/map/current.htm?rsid=172&reid=12&ry=2012&rs=S
I contribute my records to this, I'd encourage others to do so too.

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 6:17pm
Cheers Caleb, I've popped my records in for there!

Posted By: Shawit
Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:50pm

Frogs in my central Bristol garden spawned on 24th Feb. Numbers had decreased significantly during  the Winter of 2010/2011 . This year there looks to be a bit more spawn ( approx. 12 clumps )compared to last year .Strangely, I've not been able to count more than 15 frogs in the pond in the last month.

Work colleague estimated a minimum of 100 spawning frogs in the moat in front of the prairie dogs at the zoo!

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Shawit Shawit wrote:

Frogs in my central Bristol garden spawned on 24th Feb. Numbers had decreased significantly during  the Winter of 2010/2011 . This year there looks to be a bit more spawn ( approx. 12 clumps )compared to last year .Strangely, I've not been able to count more than 15 frogs in the pond in the last month.

Work colleague estimated a minimum of 100 spawning frogs in the moat in front of the prairie dogs at the zoo!

Yes, the last few years I had only ever seen some 30 Frogs present at any given time - lots of spawn (usually 2 large groupings approx 1m square + some extra clumps here & there) at this site over a few weeks, then there has typically been a c old snap and due to the shallow nature of the marshy pools - most of that spawn freezes, with any luck (touch wood!) there will be no cold snap this year and we'll have baby frogs galore in the Autumn!

100?  That I'd like to see!
Erik

Posted By: Dave1812
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 9:13am
The sound of frogs is nice, but I have to say the Natterjack much is better by far, and a lot louder!! Haveing said that I am biased towards the Natterjjack.

-------------
mailto:field.herper@outlook.com" rel="nofollow - David Hind

D&G ARG
ARC - Natterjack Toad Monitor

Posted By: lalchitri
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 10:45am
Two clumps yesterday, 1st March, in my garden pond.
3 more this morning.
Roughly 2 weeks earlier than last year.

-------------
Reformed Teetotaller

Posted By: Noodles
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 2:21pm
I love that second picture, it reminds me of the hallucinatory images the mind conjures when made to stare long and hard at the chop on a windy lake (or loch!). Crackin'

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Dave1812 Dave1812 wrote:

The sound of frogs is nice, but I have to say the Natterjack much is better by far, and a lot louder!! Haveing said that I am biased towards the Natterjjack.  
Sadly, I have never actually heard  Natterjacks calling - not in person anyway, been to Caerlaverock NNR at the right time of year, but wrong time of day.

Originally posted by lalchitri lalchitri wrote:

Two clumps yesterday, 1st March, in my garden pond.
3 more this morning.
Roughly 2 weeks earlier than last year.

Nice one, yeah It's about 2 weeks earlier for myself too.

Originally posted by Noodles Noodles wrote:

I love that second picture, it reminds me of the hallucinatory images the mind conjures when made to stare long and hard at the chop on a windy lake (or loch!). Crackin'

haha, thanks!  I suppose it does, could barely look anywhere in this wee pool without there being a frog!  Brilliant stuff to be honest.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:10pm
Are there still natterjacks on The Lots in Cumbria? I used to go to dances there in the 1960s - an old tin hut as I recall.

-------------
Suz

Posted By: tim hamlett
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Are there still natterjacks on The Lots in Cumbria? I used to go to dances there in the 1960s - an old tin hut as I recall.

oh suz...you make it sound so romanticWink

tim

Posted By: Paul Hudson
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 10:05pm
Hi Suzy ,Where are the Lots?

-------------
Paul Hudson

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 10:59pm
God it's a long time ago but was it Askham? If not I will have a look at a map. It was dunes, marram grass etc. as I recall.

-------------
Suz

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk