Print Page | Close Window

fungi 2011

Printed From: Reptiles and Amphibians of the UK
Category: General
Forum Name: Associated Fauna and Flora
Forum Description: A forum for plants, invertebrates and other animals associated with herpetofauna
URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3887
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:11pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: fungi 2011
Posted By: Liz Heard
Subject: fungi 2011
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 6:19pm
hi folks,

heres a few interesting fruiting bodies i done recently seen.
enjoy and lets see your finds please members........

impressive size-wise and very beautiful. growing on a stump -
Ganoderma;

Parasol Mushroom Macrolepiota procera;

edible - and good. (as are the (more frequent) rhacodes - the Shaggy Parasol

finally, take em or leave em these are probably (along with Fly Agaric and Giant Puffball) the most famous UK mushies, Liberty Caps or "magic mushrooms" Psilocybe semilanceata.
pioneering Mycologist John Ramsbottom (1885-1974) devoted a whole chapter in his seminal 1953 work to a related species and their ritual usage;

these specimens are slightly atypical. normally the "nipple" at the top of the cap is more pronounced.

cheers, ben

Replies:
Posted By: tim-f
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 7:02pm
Great stuff.  A good reminder that I need to get out into the countryside more.

Interesting to see the items left by the local gnomes - good to see they're keeping up with the times.

Posted By: Robert V
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 3:34pm
Hi guys,

all good, not being quite the fungi geeks that you are, would you be able to clue us all up on these?

Glad to see plenty of picking ban notices up all over the place!

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 3:35pm
and

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 3:36pm
and

-------------
RobV

Posted By: arvensis
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 3:45pm
Photo 2: Lycoperdon perlatum
Photo 3: Oudemansiella mucida - should be growing on Beech.

Mark

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 5:40pm
wow! as a herper with a sideline in fungi (and assuming he didnt cheat somehow), Mark is most impressive at fungi ID!

as for pic no 1, its impossible to say from that pic Rob. in order to have a stab at it (and even then IDing fruiting bodies from pix is still tricky even for a mycologist) one needs to know habitat and description details remembering many fungi have mycorrhizal relationships with specific tree species etc.
its never gonna be easy but additional pix of the underside and stipe (stem) would help - eg are the gills decurrent (running down the stem as in Clitocybe) or adnate (connected to the stem by the whole depth of the gill eg Stropharia), is there a "ring" around the stem etc etc
i hate to criticise and thanks for posting but your pic gives no indication of scale (i dont mean Rob! ) either.

multi-angled pix help!

in moderation, picking mushrooms does not harm the mycelium (the important bit)

i went out seeking herps today at Leckhampton Hill (hello Will and Kit!) and saw bugger all apart from 1 solitary viv but i found 4 (arguably deadly poisonous by some sources) Devils Boletes (Boletus satanus) so the day wasnt entirely wasted

Calcareous soil, under oak, swollen red stipe, yellow tubes, off-white cap, bruises blue, foul smell and attractive to flies etc;

also saw some (the source of much supernatural folklore in bygone times) "fairy rings";

any other regularly-posting (or otherwise) members care to add any interesting fungi to this thread? keith? suzi?

cheers, ben

Posted By: arvensis
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 6:48pm
Well, Mycology is one of my other interests - I have a fair few fungi photos lurking on the computer and another hard drive, I'll dig some out when I get some time.   One of my pictures of Clathrus archeri is in the 2006 edition of Roger Phillips' 'Mushrooms'.  It's this one here:  http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/loadimage.asp?did=9820&blockName=Clathrus%20archeri - http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/loadimage.asp?did=9820&blockName=Clathrus%20archeri 

Posted By: Chris d
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 7:59pm

Posted By: kevinb
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 8:12pm
Here is a Chicken of the woods Laetipourus sulphureus that I found today growing on an Oak.Tomorrow I shall be slicing,par boiling it,coating it in flour and then frying it in butter with garlic.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 11:55pm
cheers for posting kev.
this species varies greatly in shape but instantly recognisable by the egg yolk colour eh? was the texture ok? it looks a bit tough!
heres the specimen i found (and devoured) today. a nice fresh young un. love the way its enveloped the grass blades!

earlier this morning (along with adder and viv - thanks HART) i saw several species in Mortimer Forest too.
inc these other common ones;

Brown Roll-rim Paxillus involutus
Poisonous

Getting wood deep in the bush - its a Stink Horn.
this is a small specimen well past its best and my only pic turned out blurred im afraid.
but any excuse to broadcast one of the most humorously apt and memorable latin names ever eh?
Phallus impudicus

Said to be edible while still young and in the "egg" stage.
ive never tried it. the prospect of lunching on something that will shortly bear an uncanny resemblance to some tramps gangrenous boner and be crawling with big black flies does not get my mouth a-watering!

anyone here gobbled one of these?

Birch Polypore Piptoporus betulinus;
Not Edible.

yippee!
1st Fly Agarics Amanita muscaria of the year!!!
POISONOUS (but not DEADLY)/PSYCHOTROPIC.

saw faded orangey 1s with some or all of the white veil remains washed off and the more portents, pixies and potions type;

Posted By: AGILIS
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 6:48am
PIC OF MY TAME MUSHROOMS THIS IS BEFORE THE FINAL MORNINGS CULL   KEITH

-------------
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 9:19pm
Hi Ben,
I've never gobbled a tramps gangrenous boner thank god, or a stink horn come to think of it !!! I've tried to post a few pics here (hence the failed blank post...sorry) it wouldn't allow me to due to the pics been too large or something ?? How do I reduce the size ? I'd love to contribute !!  I've never eaten a wild mushroom as I lack the confidence and the knowledge. But I do love looking for them and taking photo's. Yesterday there was a guy picking mushrooms in the local forest, I asked him about them, he had a bucket full of Boletus, I think, he told me that they were great to eat but be careful not to pick the ones that turn blue when damaged. That but me off straight away !! I may have to do the next best thing. Last time I went to Beverley market near Hull there was a stall selling Boletus, Chantelles etc. Depending on price I may have a go. Unless there is someone near York/Hull who wants to meet up ???   

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 9:23pm
Forgot to mention that last year there were large areas of Fly agerics in the forest, some the size of dinner plates. Amazing to see. They seem very common around here. If I can I'll post some pics.

Posted By: Noodles
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 11:53am
Just returned from me hols; nice thread. Er thank you Beer

Here's a couple of celebrity edibles i managed to pap just prior to going away. The first Oyster must surely get a prize for the mushroom most resembling a fictional space craft (more so after a couple dutzend of Ben's nipplewursts no doubt). I found them growing on what i assume must have been the Captain's Log.  They were only twiddlers and with no miniature french toast to speak of i declined their lunch offer and we parted company in the woods. What do you think Trekers?

Sorry about the blur, my phone is no longer what it should be.

The second is Slippery Jack which is not much to eat although, much like my farther in laws' tanned pattern bald head, it has a fantastic polished wood like patina. 

Cheers
Roberto

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 5:48pm
thanks for the pix and humorous observations on baldness Roberto

with the main season for mushrooms rapidly descending, perhaps it would be fun for members to keep this thread going awhile? particularly if there are other interested regulars like Chris D, Mark and yourself.

as a relative newcomer to both computers and the site Chris, im afraid i lack the know-how to help you post your pics(which i and hopefully others here would love to see) internally but perhaps the other (Admin) Chris can assist you?
sorry to "pass the buck"!
i normally go via the FREE image-hosting site Photobucket (join and follow instructions) but i understand that this method can be bypassed on RAUK.
hope this helps.

others please correct if you think im wrong (since Horse Mushrooms also discolour yellow - tho less brightly - upon bruising) but i believe this recent sighting to be Yellow Stainer Agaricus xanthodermus

The Genus Agaricus includes many edible species but Yellow Stainers are best avoided as they can cause stomach upsets in some people (tho not everyone is thus affected)

cheers, ben

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 2:20pm
Looks like a classic stainer to me, especially if the bruising was immediate. Them's the ones that nailed me uncle bob and his wife. Good idea with the reserved thread. There's never too much room for mushrooms.

I'll kick things off with a cheeky bit of nipple, which yours sadly lacked. Still it was a cold day down there amongst the Nardus stalks.

Cheers

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 7:32pm
Hi,
Here's some of the 'rooms that I found this year.
Is the first one a CEP ? the next was the type that was been picked by the guy in the forest as I explained in a previous post. The last is a pic of the Fly Agarics that were so numerous last year. This year not so common ! 

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 7:44pm
great pics Chris! loved the fly agarics

looks like a cep yeah. did you scoff it?

cheers ben

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 9:01pm
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the help, I got there in the end. Unfortunately my computer keeps freezing when using Photobucket so posting pics may be occassional. I left the CEP where it was, I wish I'd had the guts to eat it now. I'll try to post some more when I have time.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 11:39am
Hi Chris,
Your top one is most certainly a Cep and in light of its alternative name The Penny Bun, an apt description.

The only other mushroom you could potentially confuse it with is the Bitter Bolete, which has an obvious dark latticed pattern over its stem and is easy to recognise really. The good news is that the Bitter Bolete is by no means poisonous, just insanely bitter, or as Fearnley Whittingstall puts it 'you would not want one of these slipping into your Cepes a la Creme'.

Either way a supreme forage and probably the most infamous, amateur proof and tasty fungus known to mankind. Maybe there is a God after all and just maybe he wears shades Cool

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Scale Scale wrote:

probably the most tasty fungus known to mankind.

True, but other species have had much greater anthropological/cultural influence.

heres a couple of very common edibles. tho i dont recommend them to beginners unless you familiarise yourself with similar-looking (and poisonous) species first.
this first one also needs to be cooked THOROUGHLY.

The Blusher Amanita rubescens
Like me, this is an ageing specimen, well past its best!

so-named because it gets all embarrassed (or maybe its anger?!) when you touch it (you can see a trace of this effect in the gills in my 2nd pic)

i expect you'd get the same reaction if you goosed a go-go dancers bum

these are best avoided owing to possible confusion with poisonous-psychotropic and similar-looking sibling spp.

Next, The Charcoal Burner Russula cyanoxantha
Having read of the Vipera heyday on this forum, this fungi's common name now evokes Adder for me!

Like Amanita, the Russula Genus has both Luke Skywalkers and Darth Vaders among its number.
so best avoided by those yet to visit Yoda (Roger Phillips)

all the best members!

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 8:25pm
Hi Scale,

I was pretty confident identifying the first pic. Anyone identify the second pic and the any similar mushy's to it that I should be wary of. (I can then look it up in my Yoda book). Anyone got any pics of the really poisonous ones ?

Cheers  

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 8:39pm
Here's another pic. Any ideas ? I had a pic of a Destroying Angel put can't find it at the moment.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 6:22pm
perhaps scale, mark or another fun guy/gal member (yet to announce their prescence) might know Chris.
otherwise, you could try visiting Yoda's website (yes they have the internet on Dagobah) and "keying in" description details to get an ID.
EG your 'shroom has widely-spaced, white, strongly-decurrent(running down the stem) gills, a brown, slimy(?) cap and is growing in leaf litter.
you ought to be able to at least narrow the possibilities down.

Disappointingly, you cant post pix directly on the forum there - or at least i cant see how. you have to do it via a link.
cheap rubbish. unlike the pleasingly-designed, UF RAUK.

id love to see your Amanita virosa pic!
ive never found one of those.

so far we've had fungi with nipples (Liberty Caps) and ones shaped like penises (Stink Horns)
well heres Buttock-Capped Boletus Boletus middletonii;

actually its Boletus queletii
B luridus & B erythropus are very similar but lack the red colouration at the base of the stem upon bruising (above)- known as pigeon's eye.

uncommon little beauties and found while delivering mail - so keep your eye out Chris!
thats the magic of fungi - they can turn up almost anywhere!

cheers, Ben

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 7:31pm
by the way, cant be sure from a single pic (esp without seeing the underside of the cap) but your 1st unidentified looks a lot like Brown Birch Bolete Leccinum scabrum Chris.
was it under or near Birch?

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 8:01pm
I think they were Ben but they were also on the edge of a coniferous forest in the grass nearby.  
Here's the underside of one.

Maybe I was being a bit ahead of myself as I'm sure that I had a pic of a Aminita virosa but can't find it a the mo. Could this be an Aminita phalloides ??

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 8:28pm
Here's some more, the first I believe is a Aminita fulva ?? The Tawny Grissette ??

This one was in the middle of a arable field
I had labelled most of my pics as I downloaded them off my camera but as usual when needed I can't find them !! Hope you like them.   

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 8:50pm
well, certainly looks like either Death Cap A phalloides or False Death Cap A citrina i reckon. i cant tell for sure from this pic alone but the former sp usually has a more olivaceous (rather than yellowy - a la citrina) cap so phalloides looks a good bet.
phalloides favours Oak and citrina sems to prefer Beech if that helps.

other pic - yeah BB Bolete id say!

cheers

Posted By: Caleb
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 9:40am
Anyone have any idea what this is? It's pushing up the lino in a damp corner of my workplace.

And Ben, didn't you promise us a photo of Psilocybe cyanescens? I'd like to see that.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 10:11am
Looks a bit like Lemon peel fungus??

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 7:54pm
That is what I thought Ben, either the death cap or false death cap. Could the previous yellow one be Chantelle ? I'd put it down as something else but it is similar in shape and colour, the only thing is it wasn't found in woodland but rather in the middle of a field. 
The pic below was taken in June this year, in a coniferous forest and is quite common in that area. At a guess Russula feotens ? Below that is a Russula atropurpurea ?

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 10:40pm
beautiful Chris - the shrooms and the pix.
as was Calebs mystery lemon entry. i would chase my local fungus group or ispot for an ID of that one!
sorry to report, ive no cyanescens (or The Potent Psilocybe as its often now referred to) pix.
nor P crobulus.
ive gotta find more woodchip piles! i read 100,000 fruiting bodies (of Pc were found at a site in Surrey. whoa! what a sight that must have been.

looks like they could well be Russula Chris.
agree tawny grisette and have you ruled out wax caps for the others?

found these dense scaly clusters at the base of a tree today.
Shaggy Pholiota Pholiota squarrosa (not edible) methinx;

shame you dont get Scooby or Phred Pholiotas.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 9:04am

Looks a bit like Lemon peel fungus??

Not as cup-like as though, it was very flat. I've not got any better suggestion, though... maybe I'll take it to ispot as Ben suggested.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 10:46am
Caleb, try domicile cup fungus (Peziza domiciliana). Apparently these are commonly encountered growing out from under damp linos/carpets/skirting boards etc and can be flat despite the name. I did a survey of some disused Nissen huts a while back. The ceiling had collapsed in one location and the carpet was sodden; a similar fungus to this was growing up from it, as well as a range of the more traditional looking fungi. It was quite surreal.

Chris, as Ben suggested, i would think that your 'Chanterelle' is probably a mature example of a Golden wax-cap. They tend to flare up at the edges with age, giving the gills a decurrent appearence. The mycological marvel that is Arvensis may well correct me, however. I am certainly no expert, just a dawdling amateur who left his Rodger Phillips book in a ditch somewhere two years ago. Now that would be the mycological find of the year if you were an amateur 'shroomer. At least it would for me, i have to make do with my slightly less thorough Thomas Laessoe book. 
Cheers

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 7:38pm
Thanks, Scale and Ben,
I think that you're right about that the pic is not of a Chanterelle. While refering to my Yoda book I happened to open it at the page showing the "Deceiver"  Laccaria laccata as another option ??   

Caleb, sorry wasn't ignoring your post but as an amateur can't help much. 

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 8:03pm
Found these a few weeks ago from 2 different sites, Aminita pantherina  

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 9:31am

Caleb, try domicile cup fungus (Peziza domiciliana). Apparently these are commonly encountered growing out from under damp linos/carpets/skirting boards etc and can be flat despite the name.

Aha, that looks more like it! Thanks.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 7:01pm
hi Chris,

you were there and i wasnt so ive only got your pix to go on, but how sure are you that those are panthers?
like you (and unlike Mark!) im no expert either but i do know that AP - aka The False Blusher - are ( unlike the true - and more ubiquitous) TRUE Blusher, rather uncommon.
they are regularly misidentified.
plus i think i can see (what looks like) tell-tale traces of "pinking" in both the gills and stipe of your 2nd pic.

Blushers are quite variable in appearance.
Panthers have a (useful for ID) circumventing "roll" (like a polo-necked jumper) at the top of the basal volva, a preference for beech woods and an unpleasant smell if that helps.
did you sniff it - thats often a useful ID hint with fungi?!

certainly cant say with confidence that yours AREN'T AP though!
Perhaps Mark or Scale will know better than i?

great pix (again) and thanks for posting.

cheers

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 8:40pm
Hi Ben,
You could be right I automatically assumed that it was a Panther after referencing it in the Phillips book, without looking for other options. Thanks for the info regarding identifying the Panther. I can't find the False Blusher in the book, what is the Latin name so I can compare them ? I can't remember where I saw them as they were from 2 different locations.

Cheers,
Chris  

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 9:29pm
Here's a pic of a very large Dryad that I found earlier in the summer. I've just noticed that in the Philips it states that it is edible while in the Collins nature guide it says that it is poisonous. I thought that it was good to eat. An obvious error !!?

I had a walk around the forest today, I only found a few very sorry looking washed out Agarics. Is this the end of the mushroom season? Has anyone any suggestions on what to do for the next 6 months ?  

Posted By: Iowarth
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 9:56pm

Hibernate??  Smile

Better still - can you get to any of the many winter tasks?

Chris

-------------
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 6:07pm
Thats what I was thinking, hibernating sounds great. And as for winter tasks......they can wait for spring !!

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 6:13pm
find a young fresh one and you can eat it Chris. however if youre anything like me then you may well find the very mealy smell of these off-putting. older specimens are a bit tough and chewy too.

obviously Autumn is when you find the most fungi but there are species fruiting year round (inc edibles) - even in Winter. like (easy to ID and tasty) Velvet Shanks and Pleurotus.
November's first frosts signal the end of many spp but (at least 'round 'ere) there is still one very common (in pasture/heathland) succulent and mouth-watering esculent to come.
the late-fruiting and exquisitely beautiful Field Blewit (Lepista saeva)
Locally at least, these spring up a bit later than most Autumn 'shrooms and indeed, ive picked November specimens frozen so rock hard that i couldve clubbed a passing dog walker to death and later eaten the murder weapon to hide the evidence
i even found a couple of Field Blewits in Spring once - me n kevinb were most surprised!
keep your eye out for em!

have you thought of joining your local fungus group?

Chris' practical Winter Blues-busting suggestion is sound.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 6:21pm

But.... but...............

Winter tasks are done in winter!! Honest, guv!!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 3:42pm
Bring on the blewits!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 4:55pm
hI awl werse oot loking fore sum snooks & adders in v ever n cums acrawse sums pritty red mushroooms so ise tasted em an seems 2 ave lost me car but sum pritty blue flashing lites keeps making a eck of a racket on v track keef

-------------

Posted By: kevinb
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 10:09am

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 5:25pm
Need the man say more? Like little guilded temple domes breaking through the morning mist in some far off eastern city.

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 7:50pm

Bring on the blewits!!!!!!!!!

Damn right!
same goes for Kevs finds which, in addition to sporting "come hither" nipples, have stems which (unlike the various similar Panaeolus spp) wave beckoningly at the observer - as if to say "here i am, come and get me!"
are those still in situ?

Couple of Russula.

possibly The Sickener (Russula emetica)
(Fungi rival moths for names eh? Similar bewildering range of species too!);

Have you tried Fairy Ring Champignons Marasmius oreades yet Chris D (jnr)?
very tasty little buggers and common in troupes or rings on lawns and cricket pitches. they make up for their small size by being prolific.
Recommended!

Be careful though. the deadly poisonous Clitocybe dealbata/rivulosa look similar and occupy a similar niche BUT have a different gill arrangement (they are crowded and decurrent) and have more "depressed" caps. not an umbo like FRC;

Keith, hope you enjoyed the enlightening experience. LOL!
in a day or two you will probably find you feel refreshed; as if the troublesome cloud of worry that has dogged your daily life for months or years has been banished by a single sweep of a magic Myco wand! LOL!
im certainly not advocating anything (one has to make one's own choices and be responsible for them) but interestingly, it is now recognised that psychotropics have medicinal potential -particularly in treating addiction and depression.
one of the most powerful of these non-addictive chemicals (DMT) occurs naturally in living things ranging from grasses to human beings.
its the stuff that brings your dreams every night.
Read up if you dont believe me!

cheers, Ben

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 5:24pm
here you go Chris (D Jnr);

Fairy Ring Champignons;

these were a bit too old to eat. note gill arrangement, yellowy-brown colour and broad umbo (knobbly bit in centre of cap).
they usually look a bit leathery with age (as shown here)

and how about THIS ravishing beauty?;

my money's on Pink Wax Cap Hygrocybe calyptraeformis

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 6:55pm
in addition to finding 2 prev unrecorded Glos sites for the rare Satan's Bolete Boletus satanus this year, i recently recorded another scarce species.

and i'll tell ya what, this one was the most foul-smelling fungus ive ever encountered.
Worse than a decomposing corpse or an eggy fart.
Even the memory of it makes me feel nauseous.

Distinctive scaly cap and one of the few Amanita with flesh that reddens with age, A. echinocephalia
Unsurprisingly, edibility-wise its thought to be Poisonous

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 7:27pm
guessing nobodys seen anything interesting lately then?
bin out looking at known sites yet still no Blue Legs (Field Blewits) but seen these;

Jews Ear;

owing to "politically correct" dogma, this is often now referred to as "Ear Fungus". dunno why. since the former common name only alludes to Judas who was said to have hung himself from an Elder (the usual host tree). Edible - but find young uns.

Familiar to you all. Shaggy Ink Cap;

Edible when young. mild flavour.

Common Ink Cap;

Edible providing you avoid alcohol - counts me out rightaway

Black Bulgar;

Not edible and rock 'ard so you'd have to be very adventurous to even attempt it!

Fleecy Milk Cap;

Not edible.

i like this Panaeolus campanulatus piccie;

Aniseed Toadstool;

Edible but beware, strong

youve all seen these;

Field Mushroom (A. campestris)

Yum!

all the best members!

Posted By: Suzy
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 7:50pm
I was out with a few folk the other week and one old country boy pointed out a "mushroom". I asked if he was sure and he confirmed there was no doubt about it. It  was one of those that look like a field mushroom but have no collar on the stem and I think are poisonous. We didn't kick it over or pick it but I expect the gills were white not pink/brown as in a field mush. Am I right?

-------------
Suz

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 5:45pm
hard to say without pix or more info Suz. certainly there are poisonous white gilled species such as Death Cap but then again others like The Blusher and Parasols have white gills and are edible.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 5:59pm
Common on old stumps or buried wood - Rooting Shank Oudemansiella radicata

not poisonous but unworthy of the table.

Dung Roundhead Stropharia semiglobata

Not edible. Some old books suggest it has low levels of hallucinogenic alkaloids.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 4:26pm
anyone (Roberto?) found Field Blewits yet? seems like they are just starting to fruit 'round 'ere. i found these specimens today;

Lepista saeva

also found sibling species Wood Blewit. in addition to the nominate habitat they sometimes turn up in gardens - such as here. i spotted these while delivering mail.
i have to admit, i considered nicking them to scoff (they are excellent esculents) but thought id better not.
note the soft lilac hues and (as with Ls) fawn-coloured cap.
a very beautiful fungus indeed.

(Lepista nuda)

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 7:51pm
Hi Ben,

Plenty of wood blewits up here in York, but haven't really noticed any field blewits.Seems to be a second blooming of other species as well due to the mild weather we are having. Is that possible ? Couldn't find any fungi a few months ago and now they seem to be appearing again. They seem to everywhere at the moment, will take some pics when I get a chance.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 9:10am
I have not knowingly seen any field blewits about; however, i would not know the difference between the two if i were urinating on one. Plenty of Wood Blewits about, even in the open fields (i think) and the waxcaps are fantastic.

Bumper crop of wood blewits below. I picked these on Monday during paid survey time. I'd like to say it was during my lunch break but it wasn't. 

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 4:41pm
thats very interesting guys. maybe its just me but i find Field Blewits much more common than Wood Blewits here in Glos. have done for years.

Field Blewits are generally larger and chunkier. the lilac colour - tho still evident - is less striking overall but often contrastingly prominent on the stipe. hence the local name "Blue Legs". i only ever find them in grassy places - heaths, commons and cattle pasture. they seem more tolerant of "improved" grassland than many fungi species.
very tasty and once seen, easily discerned from Woods but you can still see they are closely related.

wowee! thats a mouth-watering harvest of ill-gotten gains you got there Robbo! go well with a bit of wild game or squirrel.

yes ive noticed that too Chris. the Boletus queletii pix i posted earlier in this thread were a second fruiting and many other species such as Wax Caps and Field Mushies are still popping up afresh here.
Cotswold Fungus Group tell me 2011 is a super "one year in ten" for fungi.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 5:18pm
That Satans bolet, just how poisonous is it? I have loads in the garden!
R

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 5:21pm
I had previously thought the two were easily separated but having investigated the matter it seems that there is a huge degree of overlap when it comes to their 'diagnostic' charateristics and the habitats they occupy. In my opinion even a small overlap between the sum of all a species' field characteristics makes its true identity questionable. Sure enough the books make the two easy to separate but the experts' accounts i've seen appear much less conclusive; although unlike the many self-proclaimed elitists present in the world (never on Rauk though LOL hut, hum!) i'm more than happy to be told i'm speaking sh*t again. 

Since life is too short i have since given up separating the two. On the other hand Ben you might well just have the eye for them; some people have the ability to go beyond the outer veil! Thumbs Up 

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 7:12pm

the time-honoured argument eh Roberto?
what the fork is a species?

as a humble nobody - but with an above "average" knowledge of fungi ID, and with luck a bit of "nous" all i can say is that when i see Ls i instinctively think that it is one and not Ln.
at least in my area ive not encountered intermediates.

i spot lots of differences 'twixt 2.
EG further to those already detailed, the rim of the cap of Ls is more involutedly pronounced and wider than in Ln. a bit.

B satanus in the garden Rob V. most impressive!

NB the rare/trickier fungi ive IDd in this thread have been validated by my local fungus group prior to posting.

cheers!

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 9:43am
By the way, i loved the Pink Wax cap you posted earlier. A picture of it was on the interpretation board of a common i surveyed recently; cited as being rare and the only pink toadstool in the country. I did not see one unfortunately. 
P.S. it appears i am speaking sh*t again. Nae bother Cool

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 10:28am
As Vincent so kindly did for Paul i shall now attempt to paint this house yellow. Just don't go cutting off any lobes...

One of the genus Lactarius with orange/yellow 'sap'. I wish i'd investigated the staining properties further to id species. Ben? 

One of the genus Calocera. I love these, you see 'em about quite alot

The fantastic Golden Wax-cap. A real prince among  the grass blades.

A youngish Pine Dye Polypore. My first.

The False Chanterelle. Enough to make you weep.....if only!

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 5:32pm
finds! cheers - thats a really good range of beautiful pix and species.
nice work.

Your Milk Cap might be Lactarius deterrimus.
Lactarius deliciosus (Saffron Milk Cap) and L deterrimus are very similar but the former is uncommon in England and the latter is frequent. assuming you found it in spruce/pine woods in Shrops not bagpipes n porridge land?

False Chanterelles are said to be hallucinogenic. or so i recently read in a wildlife mag. alkaloid levels are probably very low though or as was pointed out to me by another member, their status in folklore would be much higher.

heres Wood Blewit and Field Blewit side by side for comparison. hopefully showing the differences i mentioned;

also found some more Shaggy Parasols today. once again, in a garden;

these were very white and fleecy rather than scaly/shaggy-capped so think theyre Macrolepiota rhacodes var. bohemica. also common and edible.
dunno why the pic keeps coming up wrong way round. its right way up on photobucket - how annoying!

got a pic of your Boletes Rob V? Boletus satanus are very rare and found on ancient limestone habitat under Oak. not many people have seen them. the season is normally late summer.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:35pm
Is this them or some other crap?

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:36pm
another angle - and they're growing on the roots of my Yew tree.

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:56pm
undefinedAnd while we're on the subject of fauna, any ideas about these?

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:57pm
or this???

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

or some other crap?

such disdain!

Pretty sure Shaggy Parasol and quite possibly Macrolepiota rhacodes var. bohemica again. (certain on the Genus anyway - the scaly centre of the cap gives them away) they like conifer litter and indeed are generally quite an "unfussy" species.

nice fresh young ones you got there!

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 8:27am
Rob. Based on the sky blue colour alone your top violet could be Heath Dog-violet, but you really couldn't tell from such a photo. Could be common, hairy or dog or a range of other violets. I'd need to examine the leaves. Your bottom one is Wild Garlic, the shredded leaves are great in an omelette (just don't dig the bulb up you might get arrested. Oh, no wet the bed!)

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 7:17pm
hey dont encourage off topic and particularly, Spring flower pix in this thread Roberto . agree with your IDs tho - Viola blooms are very variable in colour eh sport?

matching your Lepista nuda haul and gleefully ignoring the Taxonomists wranglings you mentioned (will these folks ever make their minds up?), heres my very pleasing and mouth-watering L. saeva crop from today;

yummy yummy yummy!

and regarding your earlier query re; Boletus satanus toxicity Rob (V),
similar cynicism applies.
for years i read that only a tiny amount of Death Cap (said to be the most poisonous fungus in the world) was enough to kill a human being and yet a teenage girl recently survived - with no long term liver damage - eating 2 whole specimens.
Satans Bolete is said to be deadly poisonous in many books but some sources argue otherwise.
nevertheless, I aint gonna chance it!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 5:16pm
Is it just me or do the Wood Blewits taste much stronger this year than last? Almost unpleasant some of them. How do the Field Bs compare?

P.S. you'd be a Phu King ejit to eat anything listed as poisonous in the fungi world, i tell thee!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:43pm
not noticed any diff here Robbo but then ive only had 1 lot of Woods. i prefer Field Blews anyway.
they are quite meaty and full-flavoured. texture-wise i find them a bit more solid and crunchy too.
very satisfying - you can really get your choppers and taste buds into em.

i added Field Blewits to a veggie stir fry.
no sauce or further flavouring was necessary at all - that woulda blew it. har har!;

delicious meal.

dunno bout your end but still finding Autumn fungi cropping up left, right and centre here.
among many ive seen and photographed lately, heres a couple more;

Greyish cap with wavy edging in mature specimens, decurrent white gills its Clitocybe nebularis;

not edible.

you know these i expect!
orange, slippery, glutinous caps with black stipe, growing on wood and season all winter -Velvet Shanks
Flammulina velutipes;

tasty!

no, i dont take any chances believe me.
tiniest doubt? - leave it out!

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 10:58am
Clouded Funnel-caps all over the shop, particularly in the hedgerows and other fungi galore (keep up the mild weather!). Never eaten CF-cs though, they just look indescribably dangerous to me and the word 'funnel-cap' makes me think of some nasty arsed 'shrooms. Mushrooms are not good enough to die (slowly and painfully) for and the tastiest ones are generally the easiest to id so why muck about with 'em? I've eaten Tawny Grisettes but did not enjoy munching on something so closely resembling a Death Cap and were frankly insipid tasting!

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 1:17pm
Think I'll stick to my bean sprouts in a good old chicken chow mein!

How about this for an id then Ben / Rob???

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 8:52am
That would be Sea Rocket me ol' mucker.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 9:16am
P.S. Ben if you get your Wok smoking hot and quickly char those veg and shrooms you'll double the flavour of your stir fries guaranteed. The Chinese call it 'the breath of the wok' and i would suggest that 1.3 billion of them can't be wrong; although they love eating Pob's ears (shrooms), snakes, turtles, chicken feet, duck tongues, rotten eggs and frogs (to list but a few), so i don't know who to believe anymore.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 4:49pm
thanks for the culinary tip Roberto! will give that a go.

you mentioned unusual foodstuffs, well have you (or other members) seen "Food for Louis" on Youtube?
squirm in your seat as a Brit madman consumes a dead frog (whole), 3 live hissing cockroaches, a live giant scorpion, a raw bulls testicle, a live tarantula and - for me most stomach-churning of all - drink 10 blended dead mice.
Eek!
assuming the footage is genuine (looks to be) in a sense its a victory over Western food prejudice tho.
and theres really no difference between killing an animal for food with a .308 rifle, a slaughterhouse captive bolt or ones teeth when you think about it.

all the same i dunno how he can swallow such seemingly vile "comestibles".

PS i once got PAID to look for fungi. pretty cool huh??
not just any old 'shrooms mind you. in fact not true fungi at all come to that, but another example of convergent evolution.
2 months surveying for/sampling of, the Oomycetes Phytophthora ramoram and P. kernoviae ("Sudden Oak Disease") in South Wales and Cornwall.
yet another wonderful DEFRA secondment!

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 12:52pm
I managed to get out and take a few pics of those Clouded Funnel-caps mentioned earlier. They seem to be littering the hedgerows everywhere at the moment and what a classic looking and variable toadstool. Fantastic year for all the mushrooms in fact.  

I've also got a couple of Scarlet Wax-caps to post when i get them off my phone. I can't believe that no-one else has posted any.
Cheers 

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 4:30pm
yep. its the same in Glos...er Noodles.
im finding Cloudeds regularly too. everywhere from NNRs to gardens.
the now v common, lazy gardeners practice of spreading wood chips in borders/shrubberies, has proven a wonderful green light for woodland fungi to increase their ranges in sub/urban situations eh?
im spotting a fair few spp at work.

thought id bung this un in for thread diversity's sake.
even tho its spectacularly unspectacular!

Tar Spot Fungus Rhytisma acerinum

the Scarlet Wax Cap pix sound good. not seen any this year meece elf.

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:21pm
The name Scale must have just got worn out by its sheer popularity. That's always happening to me...damn.

I also see that you have the infamous Leaf Edge fungus; an interesting hybrid of the Tim Burton and the Hieronymus Bosch.

I believe these to be Scarlet Wax-caps. The fungi in the bottom photo were not tampered with or uprooted, they really were growing in that formation. 

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:34pm
P.S. Why does my Mushroom book list Clouded Funnel-cap as edible when elsewhere it's listed as poisonous!! It's bloody outrageous! Without getting too 'lady on the tram' about it i ought to sue the bar steward.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:06pm
Like you, i avoid all Clitocybes. although Wood Blewits are sometimes classified as members!

great Wax Cap pix. could well be Scarlet Wax Caps, although they arent the only red coloured ones as you know. size is one factor. they are generally larger than the similar Hygrocybes.
no idea whats caused the interesting/unusual malformation!

these Gymnopilus junonius were impressive. i took my camera to work and snapped 2 fruitings in the same road. 100m apart;

for anyone interested, they grow in impressively dense clusters on the base of deciduous tree stumps or buried wood. a very useful ID characteristic is the ring on the stem. which rules out the various superficially-similar Pleurotus spp;

and again;

Not edible.

PS your earlier Star Trek USS Enterprise-shaped Pleurotus lignatilus (?) specimens were good.
i suppose they "boldly grow where no fungi have gone before"?

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 10:07pm
had a great time today at the SW Regional ARG Conference and learned a lot - take a bow Mr Cranfield and any other speakers/organisers reading this.
i met a lot of nice people.

as it was in Devon, i was rather hoping Suzi would be there too.
oh well..

most fungi are over now but during the lunch break i spotted this (all-year fruiting) Candle-snuff Xylaria hypoxylon in the nearby park;

Posted By: Suzy
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 11:25pm
Sorry to disappoint! I'll PM you about it...

-------------
Suz

Posted By: AndyS
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 10:46am
Ok Ben
what are these? I have no ideaSmile  ( don't eat mushrooms Dead )

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 11:52am
The top and middle pics look like they could be Clouded Funnel-caps. The bottom fungi are known as Cramp Balls, not to be confused with a kick in the jewels. Interesting fact (maybe); Cramp Balls take a spark easily and burn like charcoal (as seen on Ray 'arse' Mears). 

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 12:20pm
Exciting new development in the music industry. Mick Hucknall has finally decided to quit singing and focus on his porn career instead. To be known as Mick 'Muck' *ucknall from now on please people. Proof below if a naysayer thou art.

The news made my year; more porn, less Simply Red.....boom, boom!

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 8:10pm
hi Andy!

Noodles' informed instincts are bang on once again methinx. more Clouded Funnels Clitocybe nebularis and some "King Alfred's Cakes"
i salute the person that thought of that common name!

the orange fungi in your pic are trickier.
your pic doesnt show the stem or gills which would help.
might be Lactarius mitissimus - 1 of the Milk Caps.
correct substrate, cap colour/size fits and i notice theres a small umbo (bump) on the cap of the 'shroom in the middle of your pic. which some Lm specimens display.
hard to say tho. perhaps Mark has some thoughts?

LOL. yeah Noods, bland bands should be banned.
i think ill give Mick "money shot *uckwit" Hucknall's alternative career a miss too!

Posted By: AndyS
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by ben rigsby ben rigsby wrote:

hi Andy!

SNIP
the orange fungi in your pic are trickier.
your pic doesn't show the stem or gills which would help.

Ben, Much as I would have liked to get pictures of the stem and gills,
as they were situated in one of the Big cat enclosures at Marwell Wildlife, made it just a tadge difficult!! LOL Wink  maybe next time? Ermm

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 12:36am
OIC!
i guess your four-legged humbug beastie (a tapir?) in the xmas thread was from Marwell too?
did you get any good Frilled Lizard shots?

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:47am
Looking at the news from Australia 2 people dead and one in need of a liver transplant,after eating Destroying angel mushrooms at a new years eve dinner. keith

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:08am

BEN:

In the hope that you are checking this thread please note that notifications to your hotmail address are being rejected "mailbox unavailable". Please use the Member Control Panel to change it.

All the best

Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 4:28pm
Hi Chris.

drat! i was hoping for a 'shroom pic from you Mr D!

sorry if ive caused a problem. ive replaced the old email address with my current one and sorted it out now.

cheers, Ben

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 5:16pm

Hi Ben

No problem apart from the vast intellectual strain of trying to think how to get in touch with you!!Wink

Sorry seldom have camera with me when seeing 'shrooms!

Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

No problem apart from the vast intellectual strain of trying to think how to get in touch with you!!Wink

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:19pm
The wood blewits are still about! Look at this mutant beast from only 4 days ago. The cap must have measured 25cm; double what the books describe as a large specimen. 

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 9:30am
Blimey! an unexpected large snack - beats Pot Noodles Noodles.

not seen those for weeks but on the trail of Billy Badger along the Severn yesterday, i spotted these fresh n firm Field Blewits;

also saw the aptly-named Glistening Ink Cap;

cheers!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk