Forum Description: Forum for all issues concerning Vipera berus
URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2673
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 3:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: adder
Posted By: tim hamlett
Subject: adder
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 2:53pm

was out looking for lizards this afternoon and was very pleasantly surprised to find this beautiful little girl. never seen an adder at this site before so pretty pleased.

tim

Replies:
Posted By: Stanislaw
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 8:16am
looks nice

-------------
I apologize for my english :-)

Posted By: dave fixx
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 5:49pm
 Nice find Tim,cracking bonus when that happens.Had a late eve adder and grass snake yesterday myself,and those slow worms are getting easy now.

-------------
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 6:01pm

Originally posted by dave fixx dave fixx wrote:

those slow worms are getting easy now.

cheers dave.

those pesky slowworms were the only thing stopping me from seeing all four in the same day for the first time! never seen a local one although they are supposed to be around in a few sites.

tim 

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 1:21pm
that day it was a common lizard that stopped me,how mad is that compared to last year?.Havent been to Llangollen since March/april will try and go this week while I m off might leave it till eve though cos its scorching at the mo.

-------------
Dave Williams

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 2:54pm

i know...it's funny how these things work out isn't it. i'm thinking of putting down some symathetic looking refugia where there are supposed to be slowworms locally to see if i can attract some.

we drove through llangollen sunday. we even had lunch at a pub about 400yds from the hill but i was banned from going for even a quick 5-minute look.

tim

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 3:41pm
I know those bans Tim,negotiations are a regular thing here,cheshire Oaks must love me for the bribes I have to give to get out sometimes.

-------------
Dave Williams

Posted By: Mark_b
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 7:24pm

Didnt see any point in making a new thread

Peter and I were on the search for grass snakes, came across these stunners!

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 8:20pm
Both animals were out during an overcast period of considerable length also.

-------------
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 5:09pm
Nice pics gents,must admit I ve seen both adders and grass snakes this year in conditions I normally wouldnt have left the house in,including  rain on a couple of occassions.

-------------
Dave Williams

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 11:58am

another unexpected surprise while looking for baby common lizards this afternoon.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 2:53pm

visited the same site this afternoon for possibly the last time this year. saw a few baby common lizards before spotting this female

she turned out to be extremely obliging, letting me get closer and closer until i was literally inches away. she even waited patiently while i removed some sticks and grass from right in front of her that were obstructing my view.

turned out to be the most engaging and captivating experience with an adder i have had so far. and i managed to get some half decent pics for a change because she allowed me to get so close (although the lens needs a clean).

tim

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 4:08pm
lovely pics mate.Looks like tuesday next week will be my last attempt this year hope they stay out for me.

-------------
Dave Williams

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 4:58pm

cheers dave. seven day forecast looks decent so you've got a chance.

tim

Posted By: Suzi
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 8:33am
Was out on a heath (East Devon) from 11am today. Lovely day. Saw two female adders mosaic basking (very hard to spot) and a couple of young lizards. Not had a frost down here yet.

-------------
Suz

Posted By: will
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 10:32am
Great pics Tim; always like to see photos of adders taken in situ - shows they've been more comfortable with the experience (plus fieldcraft, stalking skills etc)

Cheers

Will

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk