Forum Description: Forum for all issues concerning Vipera berus
URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1854
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 8:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: north west & Wirral
Posted By: james4
Subject: north west & Wirral
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 11:20am
is anybody from here,do you know any good sites of these areas,not just for vipera berus but all of our reptiles.cheers.

Replies:
Posted By: Alex2
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 6:29pm

Originally posted by james4 james4 wrote:

is anybody from here,do you know any good sites of these areas,not just for vipera berus but all of our reptiles.cheers.

Hi James,

I think it's against forum policy to give out specific locations (for obvious reasons), did you have any luck with your local ARG?.

Cheers, Alex.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 10:30am
no,no reply.

cant you pm them me,i wont disturb them.

Posted By: Alex2
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 12:09pm

no,no reply.

cant you pm them me,i wont disturb them.

I'm not familiar with your neck of the woods I'm afraid James, so can't offer help there...Dorset's my stamping ground (for want of a better term on an Adder thread!), so get out and get looking, several species have already shown their faces this year :)

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 1:12pm
yes i will,but i snowed up here today so they woont be out again for some time.

Posted By: herpetologic2
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 4:27am

James where are you and which ARG did you email?

-------------
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://recordpool.org.uk" rel="nofollow - http://arguk.org/recording

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 10:32am
i emailed the merseyside one,im in merseyside.

Posted By: Judderman62
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Alex2 Alex2 wrote:

Hi James,

I think it's against forum policy to give out specific locations (for obvious reasons), did you have any luck with your local ARG?.

Cheers, Alex.

For obvious reasons ?  I'm clearly a bit slow 

I imagine it's in case the person reading is interested in harming Adders ?  or is there another reason.

I also would love to see an adder in the wild (be quite nice to see any snake in the wild really - but an adder would be great).

I am in the Northern Part of Greater Manchester - would anyone be happy to give a general pointer/area and pref PM me with more specifics and also give any hints on best times of year/day and other tips for maximising chances of seeing one.

I believe some parts of Derbyshire have populations - that's be great as it is such a lovely area too.

I also like the idea of Photographing one but being a class 1 wimp wonder how close you can get to one before it gets a tad irritated ?

Is it easy enough to get close enough to get the adder filling a reasonable amount of the frame ?

Thanks in advance to all and what a great site 

Thanks

Judderman

Posted By: herpetologic2
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 3:48am

Hi Judderman

I suggest you contact Chris Monk at Derbyshire ARG or David Orchard at the ARG of South Lancasshire (+Greater Manchester)

• Derbyshire Chris Monk, Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group, Hilburn, Chapel Lane, Middleton, Matlock, Derbyshire DE4 4NF , 01629 823136/01629 580000, mailto:chris.monk@derbyshire.gov.uk - chris.monk*derbyshire.gov.uk
  • Lancashire and Greater Manchester David Orchard, Amphibian and Reptile Group of South Lancashire, 106 Thicketford Road, Tonge Moor, Bolton, BL2 2LU, mailto:argsl@btinternet.com - argsl*btinternet.com

I would suggest you link up with these guys as they can show you the sites etc

check out http://www.arguk.org - www.arguk.org aswell

J

-------------
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://recordpool.org.uk" rel="nofollow - http://arguk.org/recording

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 4:55am
Originally posted by herpetologic2 herpetologic2 wrote:

Hi Judderman

I suggest you contact Chris Monk at Derbyshire ARG or David Orchard at the ARG of South Lancasshire (+Greater Manchester)

• Derbyshire Chris Monk, Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group, Hilburn, Chapel Lane, Middleton, Matlock, Derbyshire DE4 4NF , 01629 823136/01629 580000, mailto:chris.monk@derbyshire.gov.uk -
  • Lancashire and Greater Manchester David Orchard, Amphibian and Reptile Group of South Lancashire, 106 Thicketford Road, Tonge Moor, Bolton, BL2 2LU, mailto:argsl@btinternet.com -

J

Posted By: Suzi
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 6:08pm

I think if you search through the forums you will find most of your questions have been answered somewhere already.

-------------
Suz

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 6:26pm
Is that what passes as a helpful reply in your book  ? 

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2008 at 5:09am

OK. Not trying to be unhelpful just saying there is lots of good stuff here you just have to do the searching.

Time of year for adders is generally from Feb. onwards (although someone saw an adder the other week in Jan.). At the other end of the year the time varies with when they disappear to hibernate but October is getting on in their season.

Time of day for best chances of seeing them is very weather/temperature dependent and also the month of the year. Generally speaking a dull cooler day with fleeting sunshine is best for seeing adders lying out as they are trying to warm up. On very hot days they can warm up more quickly and move off to hunt. As the season moves on the ground is warmer and the adders are not starting from cold, as it were, and so bask for a shorter time to get up to speed. I don't find very early in the morning much use but I know others do. 10am on a spring day ought to be a good time to start right up to lunchtime. Walks around teatime on a nice summer day in August often produce adders that are out warming up again.  

A bit of a thing you'll find with adders is that really there are no rules! I have seen many adders lying out in the middle of a scorching hot day when technically they ought to have moved off.

After you've seen a few and had a season or two at it you will know more what to expect. Accompanying someone with experience and an eye for adders will really be a great help and you can then go off and find your own. Good luck.

-------------
Suz

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2008 at 5:19am
Awww thanks for that Suzi 

Much appreciated 

Posted By: tim hamlett
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2008 at 6:35am

hi

i reckon suzi's just about covered everything but the following link will take you to the narrs site. they have downloadable reptile survey information packs which have graphics and pictures which i have found really helpful.

http://www.narrs.org.uk/nrspack.htm - http://www.narrs.org.uk/nrspack.htm

cheers

tim

ps i've been a member of this site for just over a year and i can assure you that suzi is one of it's most dedicated and helpful members. it really is good advice to have a trawl through the site... there's absolutely loads of brilliant stuff for beginners and experts alike. good luck and keep everyone informed of your progress...especially when you get your first pictures.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2008 at 6:44am
Thank you to you too  

Posted By: phillip
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2008 at 2:10pm
hey judderman maybe we could get together as im only in liverpool,so not far.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by herpetologic2 herpetologic2 wrote:

Hi Judderman

• Derbyshire Chris Monk, Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group, Hilburn, Chapel Lane, Middleton, Matlock, Derbyshire DE4 4NF , 01629 823136/01629 580000, mailto:chris.monk@derbyshire.gov.uk -
  • Lancashire and Greater Manchester David Orchard, Amphibian and Reptile Group of South Lancashire, 106 Thicketford Road, Tonge Moor, Bolton, BL2 2LU, mailto:argsl@btinternet.com -

Maybe he's just away / on hols or somesuch

Might try the other chappy if I hear nothing in a few days

Thanks again

j

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 4:52pm
Should update I have heard from  Chris and he has been most helpful including to meet up with me at some point when he is doing a survey  

Thanks for pointing me in his direction - much appreciated 

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 7:29pm
Well last year it didn't happen as my father passed away in March and so I was somewhat busy grieving and dealing with all the aftermath one has to when a family member passes away.

However last Sunday 29 March I did meet up with Chris and we saw 10 adders    I was very, very happy - been so very much wanting to see some since beginning of 2008 and so was fantastic to at least achieve it last week.

Many thanks to Chris for meeting up with me and showing me around - very much appreciated.

Here's one of the pictures I took

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 3:34am

hi judderman

very sorry to hear about your father.

well done on the adders. it really is a great feeling seeing your first one isn't it...especially after such a long wait.

tim

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 5:12am
Thanks Tim. Yes it certainly is quite an amazing feeling. King Cobra next I think ..... ehmmmm OK maybe not 

Posted By: Tony Oscroft
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 6:10pm

Hi Judderman

Congrats on your first adder sight mate  ... I'm too still on a quest to see my first ever since I was knee high to a cricket... was out in Derbyshire last weekend on what seemed to be perfect habitat and weather to go with it but still no luck......I don't live far from Derbyshire so I might drop Chris a line and see if I can tag along on his next survey with him..... or if you're planning another visit wouldn't mind joining in... once again mate....well done

Tony

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 6:21pm
Thanks Tony.

It was quite an amazing feeling to achieve it at last and just to see these beautiful creatures in the wild.

I had wondered whether I might want to go again some time and am certainly open to the idea so if you get in touch with Chris drop me  aline and I may well be up for tagging along.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 4:47am

Judderman,

So pleased you finally got to see the adders. Now you've got your eye in you'll see them when you look on your own I expect.

Tony,

It really helps the first time to go out with someone who knows where to look and can point them out to you. After that it should be plain sailing! 

-------------
Suz

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 4:51am

@ tony

where are you? i might be able to help if you are in/near north staffs.

tim

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 6:44pm

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply mate.

would appreciate it if you could help, I'm in Nottinghamshire which isn't far from Staffs, but would travel anywhere just to get a glimps of these beautiful reptiles, thanks again mate.

Tony

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 6:48pm
Hi Suzi

Sadly not - even by the time we got to the last one(s) we saw and Chris  was spotting them form 15-20 feet away I still had to ask 3/4 times "Where"  lol - their camouflage is clearly too god for me to spot 'em .

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 6:53pm
Hey if you guys end up anywhere near where I went I may well be interested in joining you if I may ?

Was it somehow apt that my journey to get to derbyshire was along the Snake Pass ? 

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 6:50am

Judderman,

Sorry to hear your non-adder spotting! My husband is just the same. He can't see them at all! You will eventually.

-------------
Suz

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 11:56am
Well in fairness Suzi it's their good camouflage that helps keep them safe - so that's fine with me Lol. I was amazed though at Chris spotting them so quickly and seemingly easily.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 7:02pm
Having advised you to go out with someone to show you the ropes it doesn't say much for me who, as I said, takes her husband out and he still can't see the adders!

-------------
Suz

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 7:05pm
you n Chris must have super vision Lol

Oh if anyone is interested here's a link to see all the pics I took:

here's a link to my  pics  - 23 pics in all:

http://a05-b05.mypicturetown.com/P2PwebCmdController/pictureBank/share.html?x=nm.Ejco5xUABFIXzY%252AqqUTrTSsxzjjZDkZn%253Dlw52MxCGDTtyVpQ--jik3yfU0Sj3a%2526gCR9drwsfhy59NPsZWV69TdR3lZnKlK%2525Hx3xDkTrcx1mQ - http://a05-b05.mypicturetown.com/P2PwebCmdController/pictureBank/share.html?x=nm.Ejco5xUABFIXzY%252AqqUTrTSsxzjjZDkZn%253Dlw52MxCGDTtyVpQ--jik3yfU0Sj3a%2526gCR9drwsfhy59NPsZWV69TdR3lZnKlK%2525Hx3xDkTrcx1mQ

Best effect is to select the slide show, set interval time to 4 or 5 seconds, once it starts hiy f11 on your keyboard  and then towards bottom right there are two overlapping boxes - click on the larger one and you should get full screen with nice big pics - give it a whirl.

Let me know what you think.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 10:43am

Some nice pics there judders m8.....

I can't see where you should have too much trouble spotting them beauties given the contrast between the adder and its background though, specially in the males being more grayish as apposed to the females bronze , but then as Suzi says.... better to be with someone who knows what to look for.... not heard from Tim yet m8 but as soon as he gets in touch we could probably arrange a meet....

Tony

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 10:48am
Thanks Tony. Well Chris was psotting them from ngles where they were behind cover - it's only when I moved several feet in one direction that they were so clearly visible lol ... y eyesight isn't quite that bad ha ha 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk