the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preliminary Head Maps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preliminary Head Maps
    Posted: 29 Jun 2003 at 5:39pm
Here are four preliminary head maps of British reptiles. I would just like to note that a:) The Adder (at least the top view) will be replaced by a more typical specimen as and when I find one, and b:) The slow worm head scalation also confused me somewhat so I hope the labeling it is accurate but no guarentee (especially regarding lower labials - 2 apparent lower sets but I only labled the uppermost one). If anyone has any suggestion for amendments or alterations I would be more than happy to receive them.

Many thanks, Lee.

All images ®Lee Fairclough 2003
Lee Fairclough
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2003 at 8:21pm
I've got to say Lee, they look really good mate. Nice job

Cheers,
Alan
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2003 at 10:07am
Hi Lee,

Nice drawings. A couple of corrections: you missed the last two upper and lower labials on the adder, and I don't think your concept of chin shields is correct. The chin shields are normally taken to be the two pairs of scales lying either side of the mental groove, behind the chin of the snake. Without seeing the snake you based your drawings on came from from a different angle (underneath), it's hard to be sure what's what, but at least the upper, more posterior scales you labelled as chin shields in the adder and common lizard, and probably also the grass snake, are not chin shields.

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2003 at 11:51am
Thanks for that, that's really helpful. I was basing my adder labials from its outward appearance and the transition was pretty non descript - next time I'll takes notes on these things while in the field (or find one with white labials to make it easy!). As for the chin shield, even I can see now that the adder is way wrong, while in the grass snake may extend further than they should (I have an underside view of that snakes head from when it played dead for me)so I will rectify these. With the lizard though I beleive that multiple pairs of chin shields are de rigour. Certainly the 'lizard' head map in the collins guide is labled with 6 pairs, and after checking with an underside shot of a female L. vivippara there is no other obvious way than to lable these as chin shields, so they can probably stay for a while.

Many thanks for that!

Cheers, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic