the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pool or Marsh frog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIJDEZEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pool or Marsh frog?
    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 9:33pm
Hi, im from Kent but live in Bruges, Belgium. I have a new small pond and a frog has recently appeared. It seems to look rather different to the common frogs I've seen in the past. I posted a pic to another site Wildlife and gardening) and someone there thought it was a pool frog. As they are quite rare I googled it but i cant tell if it's a pool frog or just a Marsh frog. There are no large bodies of water nearby like the Marsh frogs prefer, only narrow water dykes around the fields (dry in summer). Its rather small and has a bright green stripe down its back and black spots. I'm trying to get a better pic.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 8:15pm
It can be quite difficult to tell the species apart. The dykes nearby could easily be used by any of the green frog complex, Marsh, Edible and Pool Frog. Subject to correction from someone with more knowledge of the species, I would suggest the dykes could form an ideal dispersal and colonisation route. Much like they are thought to have done in you native Kent where Marsh frogs are now locally very common.
BIJDEZEE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIJDEZEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 10:01pm
Thanks for the reply. On another site someone seemed certain that it was a Marsh frog.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic